News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Holy carp, look at this PCB milling machine

Started by icecycle66, May 28, 2013, 09:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

icecycle66

DutchMF

That is the coolest thing ever!!! Well, almost as cool as the machine that could drill square holes... ;) Did I see it correctly that it is also drilling the holes through the PCB? If so, WE ALL NEED ONE OF THESE!!!!!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

croquet hoop

From what other videos (linked at the end of this one) suggest, it looks like an awfully long process. Plus, there's the hassle of programming the router. Yet, is looks amazing, and if I had the time, skills and money, I'd rather use that kind of toy than any kind of chemicals to make my own pcbs!

DutchMF

Quote from: croquet hoop on May 28, 2013, 09:44:40 PM
From what other videos -linked at the end of this one) suggests, it looks like an awfully long process. Plus, there's the hassle of programming the router. Yet, is looks amazing, and if I had the time, skills and money, I'd rather use that kind of toy than any kind of chemicals to make my own pcbs!

Yeah, I should add that the bass player from my band programs CNC machines for a living, so he could probably tame this thing with his eyes closed. But for people like us, the learning curve would indeed be a bit steep....
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

neiloler

The main idea is that it produces quality stuff sans chemicals. I've seen a few at different places I've worked and they've been great for one-off protoboards. It wouldn't be the way to go for a big production run.

They also have ways of taking the gerber files output from most standard PCB engineering software to make the CAD/CNC files for these machines.

Really cool to watch them work. A heck of a lot more detailed than me with my dremel tool by hand! ;)
OLERAudio - Sole proprietor, engineer, and goofball

micromegas

And it could be used to print graphics on powdercoat...
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

culturejam

Suhr has one of those for prototyping. He talked about it over at FSB. Even offered to do some boards for me on it, but I politely declined (right after having traced the Riot  :D)
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

pickdropper

A buddy of mine has one of those. He tends to use it for rush jobs but order boards if he can afford the wait.

He used it to depanelize some 3PDT PCBs for me a while back.  That was nice.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

pickdropper

Quote from: croquet hoop on May 28, 2013, 09:44:40 PM
From what other videos (linked at the end of this one) suggest, it looks like an awfully long process. Plus, there's the hassle of programming the router. Yet, is looks amazing, and if I had the time, skills and money, I'd rather use that kind of toy than any kind of chemicals to make my own pcbs!

Yeah, the one my buddy has is programmed from the gerber files, I think.  I know it can't handle a simple board image; you need CAD files.
Function f(x)

idgit

I reckon I could do that with my Roland MDX40.  i have never made a circuit board before but maybe i could do this?  can anyone suggest a starting point?  is there pre coated board material available?  What is the smallest cut size usually in a board fab?

pickdropper

The Roland machines are REALLY cool.  We just got an MDX-540 at work and it is a very capable machine.

The dedicated PCB mill has an advantage in that it is designed to ride on the surface of the material, which can be quit uneven with copper clad. 

With the Roland, it probably would still work fine if you use the right bit, but I haven't tried it.
Function f(x)

idgit

if you've got the 4th axis then maybe you can do double sided.  I'm searching for info now, not finding much.  i generally use it for milling patterns for mold work.  The small etching tools could probably work well.  I could mount the pcb material to foam core. 

is there a free pcb cut path software?