News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Phaser suggestion?

Started by das234, May 26, 2013, 08:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

das234

I'm lining up some upcoming projects and I want one of them to be a phaser.  I was thinking SmallStone but I'm also considering Stage Fright or even something else.  Does anyone have a recommendation for me?  Keep in mind this will be my first phaser build.

icecycle66

I like the OTA phasers.  You don't have to worry about matching transistors with those.

das234

Quote from: icecycle66 on May 26, 2013, 08:58:57 PM
I like the OTA phasers.  You don't have to worry about matching transistors with those.

Which is awesome because matching transistors is one of the many things I do not know how to do yet.

GrindCustoms

Quote from: icecycle66 on May 26, 2013, 08:58:57 PM

+1 on that!

I'd go with the Stage Fright....simply what it's based on sounds awesome! 8)

Or you could get etched a TonePad Ross Phaser that is also OTA based but simplier to build than the stage fright.....and sound great aswell.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

soldersqueeze

I was populating a stage fright board today, and it's so neatly laid out it felt like the easiest build in the world. It's worth building just to see all the nicely laid out parts... at least it is if your OCD is as bad as mine  ;D

das234

Ok.  Stage Fright looks like a good bet.  And it looks about ten bucks cheaper than the Stone as well.  Next question... should I use the optional "Univibe" caps or not?  I'm thinking.. yes.

mjcyates

QuoteOr you could get etched a TonePad Ross Phaser that is also OTA based but simplier to build than the stage fright.....and sound great aswell.

I have built a couple of these and I agree they sound really good.

GrindCustoms

Quote from: das234 on May 26, 2013, 10:25:04 PM
Ok.  Stage Fright looks like a good bet.  And it looks about ten bucks cheaper than the Stone as well.  Next question... should I use the optional "Univibe" caps or not?  I'm thinking.. yes.

Personnally i would'nt....., that phaser as is own voice...better build a vibe if you want a vibe...

Just my opinion of how i see thing ;)
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

jimilee

I have built a phase 45 a phase 90 a ross a tourbillion and a causality. Each have unique qualities and stand alone rather well. Phase 90 will do things the ross won't and vic versa. The ross is on my pedal board and soon so will be another phase 90. I am building a stage fright currently. I would encourage you to build each as costs are relatively cheap and several members will gladly sell you matching jfets.
Enjoy!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

the3secondrule

I prefer the opto-phasers myself - search the forum for the mutron II project.

Or go big and build a doppelgänger  ;D

The Ross is a very nice OTA phaser, and the chips are much easier to get than the smallstone.

Ymmv

Jeremy
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

jimilee

Oh yeah I got one of them too! I love phasers. ;D
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

culturejam

I'm a Small Stone fan. That's what I'd suggest.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

alanp

Between the StageFright and the Doppelganger... I like the Dop. You could try the Mutron one, 3sec has had good results with that, and I think Brian did a layout for it.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

juansolo

Yeah the stage fright is particularly brilliant. It'd be my choice.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

the3secondrule

Quote from: alanp on May 27, 2013, 04:41:51 AM
Between the StageFright and the Doppelganger... I like the Dop. You could try the Mutron one, 3sec has had good results with that, and I think Brian did a layout for it.

yup, here's the mutron http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=6749.0
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"