News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

total n00b - zygote

Started by averagejoe, January 19, 2011, 12:34:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

averagejoe

So I'm new to this, but I've started the zygote. Im ordering parts and dont really understand what caps are electrolytic and what are film. Also, have any helpful tips beyond this?

Mark_McQ

Electrolytic are the cylinder shaped ones, as below. They come in 2 types. Polarised and non-polarised. Polarised ones have a +tive side and a -neg side. The casing is marked with a white or broken line on one side to show which is the negative. If your project requires a polarised cap(s) anywhere, the schematic or layout will have a small + marked on one side. Non polarised can be fitted either way around.

Film ones come in a few varieties. Ones you'll most commonly use in pedals are the box type and the large 'chicklet' shape ones. There's also ones shaped like cylinders with a leg at each end.

Haberdasher

I would add that the caps shown in the pics above are "radial" ones.  The zygote calls for "axial" caps because of the way the board is laid out.  That means they don't stand up on the board, but lie flat- sort of like most resistors.  Examples:

Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jkokura

Another helpful tip with the zygote is to also build a Road rage, which will help you supply the right kind of power to the zygote without having to have a special kind of power supply. It's a few more parts, but if you can build a road rage as well you'll have an easier time powering the fuzz!

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals