News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Help with Harbinger One build

Started by Mycpotter, May 25, 2013, 04:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mycpotter

Gday All,

Could somebody help me out with this one please?

Finished populating my Harbinger yesterday but im having a few problems with it  >:( -

I can get a bypass signal through fine and signal passes when the effect is on but there is no modulation. Lamp is always on and rate LED does not light at all. Tried jumpering the LED to see if that helped with the lamp pulse but makes no difference.
Only the volume control works, Intensity and Speed do not. Both Mod/Vin and C/V switches have signal when in both positions. Mod setting seems to get the signal to boost a fair bit so I guess that's working fine?
I have double checked all wiring, soldering, resistor values, cap values, electrolytic orientation, transistor orientation, ic's, etc and everything seems fine to me.
Gain and Offset trimmers adjust the lap intensity just fine so I cant see a problem there, I have even checked if the LDR's are working on a breadboard beforehand and they were working in both light and dark conditions, I also checked them with a torch while passing a signal to see if any modulation occurs and there is nada.

Got the DMM out and have the following voltages  -

LT1054 pins
1 - 1.10v
2 - 4.99v
3 - 0.00v
4 - 0.01v
5 - 017v
6 - 2.55v
7 - 1.38v
8 - 9.58v

LM7815 Pins (viewed L - R, pins at bottom)

Left - 18.14v
Middle - 0.00v
Right - 14.86v

Any other voltages I need to check?

Im running a 1spot 9v without the filtering to power it, filtering or no filtering its the same problem. Nothing has been substituted at all, its straight a vanilla build.

Any Help is hugely appreciate!

Thanks, Mick.

pryde

Are you saying the lamp will adjust fine with the gain and offset trimmers?

Also, the "pulsing" LED does not work at all correct? Is the cathode/anode switched incorrectly?

I can post some voltages from my build for a start. I will report back.

Mycpotter

The lamp intensity adjusts from dark to bright just fine but the lamp does not pulse, it stays on permanently, the led does not light at all, checked the polarity of the led and that was fine.

Thanks very much, that would be great!

pryde

OK I checked voltages and they are all similar with the exception of pin 5 on the LT1054. Are you sure it wasn't 0.17v? You listed 17v above.

How about orientation of D4,D5, Q11,Q12, and Q13? Maybe post some voltages of these as well. Also, detailed pics always help.

Mycpotter

Sorry my bad, that should be 0.17v not 017v :)

I'll get the voltages of those components ASAP and post them up.

Thanks!

Mycpotter

Ok. D4,D5, Q11, Q12 and Q13 are all orientated correctly, voltages are:

D4 - 13.53v both sides
D5 - 13.56v both sides
Q11 - E 13.89v, B 10.38v, C 14.84v
Q12 - E 13.92v, B 13.94v, C 14.84v
Q13 - E 7.48v, B 8.06v, C 8.16v

Will get some pics up soon as I can.

pryde

Try to get some pics up. Your voltages are much higher than mine here:

D4 7.8 both sides
D5 8.1 both sides

Q11- E 8.6v, B 2.7v, C 15v
Q12- E 7.2v, B 7.6v, C 15v
Q13- E 3.7v, B 4.4v, C 13v

Gonna hit the hey tonight but get some good detailed pics up and we can go from there.

Mycpotter

No problemmo. Here are the pics of the top and bottom of the board. I hope I haven't missed something obvious and stupid  :P

fendman

Nice to see Pryde trying to help you out, he built two great harbingers so if anybody can get you sorted I am sure he will.
I think you are doing the same build as myself...and notice you have not got C22 and D1 in the board, hope I am wrong on that.

I have just got mine going this morning, so I am actually about to set up the lamp.

Hope you get it up and running soon :)

Mycpotter

I'm appreciative of any help, Pryde seems to know what he's talking about and has been happy to help so I'm very thankful for that :)

You doing the 18v or the 9v build?

fendman

I decided in the end to do the 9v as I had all the components and I use a regulated 9v supply.

pryde

I checked values from your pic to my build and everything seams to match up there.

We know that you have higher voltages on the diodes and transistors in the lamp section. This may be why your not getting the correct lamp pulsing (more qualified folks here can confirm that).

Your voltages are correct on the collectors of Q11,12,13 (~15v) but all others are high compared with mine. Since you have them socketed, can you swap in some new 5088's?

What diodes did you use for D4/D5? do you have any other 1n914's to try?

Is the dual pot wired correct? check that over again.

Is the gain trimmer for sure a 500R and not 500k?

disclaimer: My troubleshooting approach is based only on comparison with my build which works great. I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase but i think the above is worth a shot  :)

Mycpotter

I'm back on shift again so I will replace all the 2n5088's when I get time tomorrow hopefully.

Speed pot should be fine but I'll recheck just in case, I have 1n914's for the diodes as per the instructions but I'll replace those too just in case.

Thanks very much for your help Pryde! If this gets working I owe you a beer :D

pryde

Ensure that gain trimmer is 500R as well.

Mycpotter

Sorry for the late reply Pryde!

Changed all the 5088's, double checked the trim pot and its a 500r, replaced the diodes with new ones and still getting the same issues.
I don't know what else to do man. I might reflow all the solder joints and see if that helps, if not im outta ideas  :(