News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

VTL5c3 -vs- VTL5c3/2

Started by mtharper928, May 23, 2013, 01:16:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtharper928

So although I have experience in electronics, I am relatively new to making pedals and was putting together my purchase order at small bear for the Aquaboy DX a little in the night and accidentally purchased the VTL5c3/2 instead of the VTL5c3.  I tried looking at the data sheets but unsure that the 3/2 can be used, due to the extra lead it has.  Anyone know a solution, or do I just bite the bullet and re-buy it?

Side Note: Just finished building my first pedal yesterday (BYOC Octave Fuzz) and I am officially hooked!  Thanks to everyone to making this process easy!  Looking forward to many future builds!

culturejam

I think you should be okay as long as you connect one of the outer leads (on the resistance side) to the center lead. The 3/2 version is like a potentiometer on the resistance side (instead of a resistor). So the same rules should apply. But I'm like only 97% on that.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jimilee

Quote from: mtharper928 on May 23, 2013, 01:16:04 AM
So although I have experience in electronics, I am relatively new to making pedals and was putting together my purchase order at small bear for the Aquaboy DX a little in the night and accidentally purchased the VTL5c3/2 instead of the VTL5c3.  I tried looking at the data sheets but unsure that the 3/2 can be used, due to the extra lead it has.  Anyone know a solution, or do I just bite the bullet and re-buy it?

Side Note: Just finished building my first pedal yesterday (BYOC Octave Fuzz) and I am officially hooked!  Thanks to everyone to making this process easy!  Looking forward to many future builds!
no build report or pics or audio or anything???  You are new, ha! Welcome to the club mang!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

mtharper928

Thanks for the input!  Attached are the data sheets.  No build report or audio as she is still getting some solder TLC.  I was just making sure before I wired her all the way up.

Scruffie

Just think of it as 2 LDRs with a shared middle lug against the LED so use the middle and either left or right lead and ignore the other.

However... it does seem like a slight waste to do so, you may find you're able to trade it for the correct vactrol with someone especially as it costs a few dollars more.
Works at Lectric-FX

mtharper928

AHH, gotcha.  Thanks a lot!