News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sub-Octavia. (Non-madbean) now with video.....

Started by ch1naski, May 18, 2013, 06:22:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ch1naski

I actually had few issues using the vero layout of Joe D's  shocktave circuit, aside from getting the flip flop transistors matched....sounds awesome. Gigantic, really.

Built with recycled capacitors, led, bezel, and some of the wire.

YouTube demo

(I finally got a semi decent audio/video setup)

[I feel so green] :P
one louder.

alanp

I'm not sure what that is, but it looks AWESOME.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jkokura

Those blue caps are pretty funky.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

TNblueshawk

John

ch1naski

Quote from: alanp on May 18, 2013, 06:26:17 AMI'm not sure what that is, but it looks AWESOME.

It's an analog, discreet octave down. Tracks pretty good, if you match the gain on the transistors closely. It sounds HUGE.  And you can clean it up, losing the octave, with your guitar volume knob. Cortextualizer built one of these in a box with a Super Fuzz, with a audio demo. I like mine with a Slambox or firebomb.

Brian has an extra project of the circuit, called "octavomit". I didn't know about it until I'd already done this one on vero.

I got a bunch of older instrumentation/automation control circuit boards from the refinery I worked at, there are craploads of capacitors like these on them. I didn't know at the time I built it that capacitor tolerance is semi-critical on this circuit. I just desoldered them and threw them in the circuit. ::) I got lucky with these.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
one louder.

Cortexturizer

Whoah man, this is very nice!
I was wondering what you did with this circuit for some time hehe. Well it's definitely a good enough circuit to deserve it's box so great, I hope you'll make some great music with it!
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

ch1naski

Quote from: Cortexturizer on May 18, 2013, 08:27:35 PM
I was wondering what you did with this circuit for some time hehe. Well it's definitely a good enough circuit to deserve it's box so great, I hope you'll make some great music with it!
Thanks, man!

Your demo was my inspiration to build it. I never did get around to doing the super fuzz, yet.  Seems like a finicky circuit. Altho, yours sounds better than any fuzz I've ever heard.
one louder.

midwayfair

1) Excellent work overall.
2) Your perfboard looks different. Where do you get it?
3) Come on, everyone's commenting on the caps. What are they?

selfdestroyer

Quote from: midwayfair on May 18, 2013, 11:06:59 PM

Haha same here

nzCdog

Nice graphics man, great build :)

ch1naski

Quote from: midwayfair on May 18, 2013, 11:06:59 PM

1) thank you, means a lot coming from you, Jon!
2) it's just regular old vero board ( I rarely touch perf)
3) the caps are from some old circuit boards I took from the refinery where I worked. I have no idea what sort of material they are, nor the manufacturer. But they all tested good, so I used them. I've got paper oil, crazy Mylar, electrolytic caps with 5 leads.....even got some germanium transistors. (You wouldn't believe how old the electronics are in that place...it's a time bomb ticking in there)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
one louder.

Stomptown

Looks great! I love the green on black. Very sleek!

Vallhagen

Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

Cortexturizer

Quote from: ch1naski on May 18, 2013, 09:52:36 PM
Quote from: Cortexturizer on May 18, 2013, 08:27:35 PM
Thanks, man!

Your demo was my inspiration to build it. I never did get around to doing the super fuzz, yet.  Seems like a finicky circuit. Altho, yours sounds better than any fuzz I've ever heard.

Oh man those words are so much appreciated! Thank you good sir.
I don't use mine much lately which is a shame, I do engage it in one song as a kind of a ridiculous surprise and crancked through the Sunking and a FF [which are always on, 69 FF as a warm Ge boost] it sounds like bagpipes with my SG  :D :D Definitely a sort of sound that makes head turn, and that's what this circuit is all about heh, use it wisely and effectively.
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams