News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Goin to the Funktion??

Started by nzCdog, May 17, 2013, 03:35:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nzCdog

Been working on this a while... Analogue function generator pcb using XR-2206

(The range stated is a bit cheeky, technically it ouputs upto 1MHz, but usuable stuff is 1.5Hz to 100kHz)

I was nervous as this was my first fabbed pcb... it spent a long time on my breadboard waiting for the tedious revisions to get finalised.  Worth it tho, works great first time with no surprises... just gooogeous waveforms  ;D

jimilee

Well it looks cool,what's it do?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

nzCdog

Thanks jimi...  :) 

Basically it makes squiggly lines for you to look at on your oscilloscope... or clock pulses for digital electronics...  It's a handy benchtop instrument thing for DIY techies...

I just finished this video I was about to upload to demo it

selfdestroyer

That is awesome. Is the fine pot an encoder? And do you think you may sell some of these PCBs if you get more made. This would be perfect to replace my tone generator.

nzCdog

Thanks Cody... I have a few boards spare I'll put one aside you if you like.   :)
That big blue pot is a 100k '10-Turn' meaning it takes 10 turns to get from one end to the other... I'll put together a build doc in case anyone else is interested too :)

selfdestroyer

Quote from: nzCdog on May 17, 2013, 04:57:18 AM
Thanks Cody... I have a few boards spare I'll put one aside you if you like.   :)
That big blue pot is a 100k '10-Turn' meaning it takes 10 turns to get from one end to the other... I'll put together a build doc in case anyone else is interested too :)

Awesome.. I am defiantly interested. I'll PM you my info for when that time comes.

raulduke

Cracking stuff.

I would be interested in one of these PCB's too dude!

I assume the LFO would work fine with modular synth gear?

Thomas_H

Good job you did here.

I have a XR 2206 in my box for months and never had the time to build it - mostly because I wanted it to co-exist with a frequency meter in one box.
But I am slowly gathering experience at programming PICs, so I will take this on later in the year. - hopefully :-)

DIY-PCBs and projects:

pickdropper

Very cool.  A function generator is a really useful thing.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

TNblueshawk

John

nzCdog

Quote from: raulduke on May 17, 2013, 08:46:04 AM
Cracking stuff.

I would be interested in one of these PCB's too dude!

I assume the LFO would work fine with modular synth gear?
Thanks Raulduke!  To be honest I haven't considered this, I had it in mind for generic testing/experiment purposes primarily... though I'm sure it could be of use.  Have a look at the build doc and let me know what you think :)

Quote from: Thomas_H on May 17, 2013, 09:12:24 AM
Good job you did here.

I have a XR 2206 in my box for months and never had the time to build it - mostly because I wanted it to co-exist with a frequency meter in one box.
But I am slowly gathering experience at programming PICs, so I will take this on later in the year. - hopefully :-)
Thanks Thomas!  I too dithered exactly over this!  I just decided just to do the function gen first, as the frequency counter side was going to be a lot more complicated...  I look forward to seeing your progress when you get around to it :)

Quote from: pickdropper on May 17, 2013, 04:58:13 PM
Very cool.  A function generator is a really useful thing.
Thanks Dave :)

Quote from: TNblueshawk on May 18, 2013, 11:56:41 AM
Pretty cool!
Thanks TN :)

nzCdog

Build doc uploaded.

Anyone interested in pcbs flick me a PM, I have a few more available.  Raulduke and Selfdestroyer, I have set a couple aside for you, I just need to sort out some kind of plan with paypal first and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.  

Thanks, Corey :)

jvg13

Really interesting project and very nicely built (and great name). 

I'm really, really hoping that an old oscilloscope which was offered to me in work (obsolete equipment there to be disposed of) can be given to me in the end (and it still works ok).  I haven't a clue how to use one - but I'm guessing I'll need a piece of equipment like this to get the most out of it?  (You can plug this into an amp or effect to better visualise the distortion of a signal or find problems?)

nzCdog

Quote from: jvg13 on May 19, 2013, 11:45:05 AM
Really interesting project and very nicely built (and great name).  

I'm really, really hoping that an old oscilloscope which was offered to me in work (obsolete equipment there to be disposed of) can be given to me in the end (and it still works ok).  I haven't a clue how to use one - but I'm guessing I'll need a piece of equipment like this to get the most out of it?  (You can plug this into an amp or effect to better visualise the distortion of a signal or find problems?)

Thanks jvg13... and score on that scope, I hope it's a good'un!  

Yes, this creates a signal you can use for various testing purposes and view on an oscilloscope... although the signal will be audible and capable of reasonable volume at audio frequencies also.  You could use it as a tone generator to audio probe a troubleshooting job, or 'sweep' a circuit to get an idea of it's frequency response using your scope.  You could analyse the effect of clipping a dirt box has at certain frequencies, or see if a signal is getting degraded by a circuit etc... these are just a few possibilities.  

Something like this is an indispensable tool when using a scope, as it create a reference for your experiments :)

MattOcaster

Check out my Blog :D
www.SonicTitanFx.com