News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Greasebox / Skeletor / Frank Face

Started by juansolo, May 16, 2013, 05:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

Quote from: jalmonsalmon on May 19, 2013, 05:14:59 AM
Nice pedals! I need to hear a greasebox, was tempted to make one of these on vero, I know of a couple of layouts but am weary of them being wrong... too bad 
I suppose when I tackle this, I will socket some resistors and replace them with pots to find the sweet spot.

The vero I used was this one:

I just compacted it a lot. The one to socket is the 470K next to the 4n7. Stick a pot on it and adjust. I suspect something in the region of 39-47k should work.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

jalmonsalmon

ah okay! thanks guys.  Is this about the same as SB carries?  http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Xicon/23PS122/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsh%252b1woXyUXj2Wk4Z3nZoF9SxDl0XPr0tM%3d

I live about 45 minutes away from where I see packages shipped from mouser so they deliver the goods about 3 days after I order stuff... So for most parts I like to use mouser.  
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST . .

jalmonsalmon

Heyas Juan,
I finally made a GB-83with the above layout and I ended up basically using a 500k pot for the resistor that is on base of Q1 to ground. Originally I had the 43k resistor there and it would not bias at all but as soon as I out the 500k pot on there and cranked it up... pedal works perfectly, sounds like the clips on youtube.
I think when I measured that pot it was around the 350k range so I am wondering what is wrong? 
Maybe the transistors?  lol
I have a the same BC547B / BC337   Q1/Q2  combo
anyway!  CHEERS!
Great pedal  imo.. works great with a deluxe reverb amp... has a lot of mids
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST . .

juansolo

They'll be nothing wrong. If you read the thread on FSB people are finding wildly different resistors work for different builds. I'd just do what you did. Stick a pot in, twiddle it until it sounds good and then swap a resistor in of that value. Alternatively just drop a 500k trimmer in there.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

jalmonsalmon

Cool, I just tuned it by ear to where it sounds good to me.
Yeah I find this GB-83 to be a great circuit for hard rock / blues stuff and it loves guitars with humbuckers and Fender amps! Has a nice midrange crunch to it and is different then any of my fuzz pedals.
Next up is a FZ-673   ;D
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST . .

roseblood11

I'd really like to know if DAM selects the transistors in the GB-83 for a certain hfe?