News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Greasebox / Skeletor / Frank Face

Started by juansolo, May 16, 2013, 05:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

Greasebox

Another cracking fuzz from DAM (the GB-83). This one is a fettled silicon MkIII/IV Tonebender of sorts. The vero that's out there has taken a stab at the two precision resistors that are in heatshrink on the original pedal and it isn't right. The biasing is off.

The resistor from Q1 base to ground needs to be something in the range of 39-47k. We stuck a pot on and turned sustain to max which squealed like hell, then adjusted the pot until the squeal went. Ours ended up at 42.4k. Insanely we had a 39k carbon comp that measured exactly that, gotta love those tolerances! Anyhow it sounds great, very much like the clip on the DAM site.

No decal?! Yup, another hammertone finish done by ColesBD of the Madbean forum. Classy.

Skeletor

More from Matt's transistor stash. This is another MKIII Tonebender, this one for Matt.

Frank Face

Matt wanted a Fuzz Face that cleaned up. So we went through a load of his scavenged transistors and these got the best pair in it. This might also be the quietest Fuzz Face I've ever encountered when it comes to noise.

It's a Frank Face as the stash was Frank's (Matt's grandad).

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

midwayfair

I wanna be your friend.* :P

*like, this specific friend.

DutchMF

That Frank Face has got to be one of the coolest pedals I've seen in quite some time! And that includes the story about Frank himself! Makes me a bit sad that I'm from an agricultural background (no need for cool electronic parts there...) from one side of my family, and carpenters on the other side....

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

soldersqueeze

I love them all, but that Skelator graphic is the best single-image graphic I've seen in an age. I wish I could finish boxes like that!

jvg13

Very nice looking (& I imagine sounding) stomps.  I really like the skeletor

juansolo

The Skeletor graphic was one Matt specifically wanted. It just turned out to fit with the layout perfectly. Likewise he wanted a FF vibe with the other. Makes a change from the zombies and monkeys (and indeed the zombie monkeys) he usually requests :)

raulduke

Gorgeous builds dude.

Your friend is one lucky guy!

Gonna have to try out the GB83 circuit too! Never enough fuzz!

Parra

nzCdog

My 2nd action figure was Skeletor! He-Man was the first  ;D
Nice builds man :)

Stomptown

Nice! I love the smiley face on the Frank face. Very nice touch...

jalmonsalmon

Nice pedals! I need to hear a greasebox, was tempted to make one of these on vero, I know of a couple of layouts but am weary of them being wrong... too bad 
I suppose when I tackle this, I will socket some resistors and replace them with pots to find the sweet spot.

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST . .

jalmonsalmon

Hey out of curiosity...  What kind of cap is that 220p?  I have never seen one like that before?

I may tackle the grease box and use a couple pots to bias it to my liking...

thanks!
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST . .

alanp

Jalmon -- it's a polystyrene cap, from memory. SB stock them.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

juansolo

Quote from: alanp on May 27, 2013, 05:15:45 AM
Jalmon -- it's a polystyrene cap, from memory. SB stock them.

Yup, it's a poly cap.