News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

35. Love Squeeze compressor with bloom control

Started by Liustucru, May 15, 2013, 11:35:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liustucru

Here's my Love Squeeze compressor clone with bloom control.
I got the board from Pickdropper's very first run (http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=7764.0).

I was (and still am) very happy with my Afterlife and its sensitivity control mod suggested by Midwayfair.
But I heard about the Love Squeeze when Rothwell released it and I was difficult to find a Europe based seller to get one so I forgot about it.

I wanted a subtle compressor, a compressor you almost forget it's ON but you miss it when it's OFF.
I have to admit this one has all that I could wish for.
The bloom control adds something very interesting with some brilliance back in the sound.
But the main feature of this compressor is its complete silence.

I found an old can of gold hammertone paint at work so I decided to give it a try. But I'm not very satisfied with the result since we can see the brush marks. I only painted one coat but I think it was too thick.

I want to thank Pickdropper again for his layout that makes the wiring very clean.

jkokura

I LOVE the finish on that. Even if you can see the brush marks, i think it looks great.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

marauder

When you paint the box, do it a face at a time, and stipple it with the brush after each face, helps to hide the brush marks.  This doesn't work with normal paint just hammered.  A couple of coats helps too.

rullywowr

Dude, the finish is rockin!  I wouldn't touch a thing.  Especially because lately I find myself botching up the finishes during the final coating and have to sand back down to bare enclosure. arrrrrrghhhh!   ::)

Nice looking build, very clean and tidy!

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

pickdropper

I agree with everybody else.  I think the brush marks look good.  It's different than the standard finishes.

Glad you liked the board.  You did a great job wiring it up.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jvg13

jimilee

My build of this sounds pretty good too,not ultra squishy and doesn't color the tone.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

micromegas

'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

Liustucru

Thank you all for your comment.

Quote from: jvg13 on May 15, 2013, 11:10:32 PM
Really nice looking pedal man.  And very interesting sounding compressor - you've raised my curiosity about that circuit now.

Concerning the hammertone paint - similar to what Marauder suggests, I use a piece of foam and dab it on.  The trick I've found is not to spread it - once it's on and starts to 'fisheye' don't disturb it for the best effect.  The issue then is what's underneath the paint can show through, so you need to experiment a bit with undercoats/earlier layers.  (I don't want to interrupt your thread with any pictures of my own efforts at building pedals, but I'll try to remember to add a post soon(ish) with a hammer finished pedal so you can see the kind of finish I've been able to get with bits of foam/sponge and tins of hammer tone paint).

I also wanted to try with a piece of foam next time I'll use this hammertone paint. Thank you for the advice.

raulduke

Cool build dude!

Quote from: Liustucru on May 16, 2013, 11:15:17 AM
Thank you all for your comment.

Quote from: jvg13 on May 15, 2013, 11:10:32 PM
Really nice looking pedal man.  And very interesting sounding compressor - you've raised my curiosity about that circuit now.

Concerning the hammertone paint - similar to what Marauder suggests, I use a piece of foam and dab it on.  The trick I've found is not to spread it - once it's on and starts to 'fisheye' don't disturb it for the best effect.  The issue then is what's underneath the paint can show through, so you need to experiment a bit with undercoats/earlier layers.  (I don't want to interrupt your thread with any pictures of my own efforts at building pedals, but I'll try to remember to add a post soon(ish) with a hammer finished pedal so you can see the kind of finish I've been able to get with bits of foam/sponge and tins of hammer tone paint).

I also wanted to try with a piece of foam next time I'll use this hammertone paint. Thank you for the advice.

+1 on using the foam/sponge.

Also, I find for the best fish eyeness, apply to a bare metal enclosure (rather than using any undercoat).

Guitarmageddon

Nothing much to add...but I like that finish to and nicely wired. 8)
Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

spaceboss

Yeah. The finish looks good because you can see the brush marks.  8)

TNblueshawk

John

nzCdog

I like your builds man... you do elegance well :)