News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Single MN3005 delay recommendation....

Started by DutchMF, May 14, 2013, 07:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DutchMF

Sooooooo, the Holy Grail of delay has arrived today, three-fold! Now two of those are going in an Aquaboy DX, but I could use a nice, Hi-fidelity slab-back type delay..... Delay time between 50-120ms, so the repeats can be nice and clean. Any recommendations?

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Scruffie

A longer delay chip used at shorter delay times is going to be of higher fidelity anyway so just lower the clock cap on any of your favourite delays.

If you want to start getting higher than that you have to parallel delay chips but BBDs aren't really for fidelity anyway...

Having said that, I do hear that the EHX 'Economy Memory Man' from the 70s has very bright delays (and uses no compander) and is a great standalone chorus effect too.

With one chip it's going to come down to the filtering and how much time you pull out of that chip.
Works at Lectric-FX

gtr2

You could always go with the old aquaboy with one mn3005.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

ichilton

Where did you get them from? - have you tested they are definitely genuine and working?

DutchMF

Got them from a respected forum member, who will remain anonymous.......

Paul

ichilton

DutchMF

Not that he had any more left or something. I actually didn't talk with him about him staying anonymous, so he might come forward. To put your mind at ease, you're not missing out on a mystery source, I would sooooo share that!

Paul

madbean

Yeah, I think the Aquaboy 2012 is the way to go since you can just etch a board and populate without guesswork. You can always use a smaller Delay pot if you want to limit it to slapback and mess with the timing cap as Scruffie mentioned.

If you feel like experimenting, you can look up the schems for other delays and check out the filtering they use. The AD-999 and DOD FX-90 are pretty similar in the way the do the Sallen Key filters, but the values are different. Let me know if you need guidance.

Scruffie

Logistically wise perhaps a bit more complicated as I don't know of any layouts, but how about a Stereo Memory Man?

If you're not interested in the Chorus or stereo output you could strip the circuit down a little to simplify it.
Works at Lectric-FX

DutchMF

Thanks for the info guys, got a lot of researching to do now! First stop is to find out what the hell a Sallen Key filter is/does.... Heard it mentioned before so that won't be to hard to figure out. Second: check out the Economy Memory Man. Third: who knows....

Paul

*Edit* Didn't see your last post Scruffie, another road to investigate....

Scruffie

Quote from: DutchMF on May 15, 2013, 03:31:25 PM
Thanks for the info guys, got a lot of researching to do now! First stop is to find out what the hell a Sallen Key filter is/does.... Heard it mentioned before so that won't be to hard to figure out. Second: check out the Economy Memory Man. Third: who knows....

Paul

*Edit* Didn't see your last post Scruffie, another road to investigate....
You might have trouble finding schematics for the Stereo Memory Man, Vintage or Reissue but I have both if you want.

Also have the one for the Economy Memory Man... if you're going for fidelity though without companding that wont have much head room so it might not be the best route, it's just bright and nice.

Sallen-Key is just a type of filter design, either high, low or band pass, in delay, low pass to keep out the high clock noise and to avoid clipping the BBD chip.
Works at Lectric-FX

DutchMF

Well, I think I'll just go with an Aquaboy (older version), Haberdasher can probably etch me one... But that 'Economy Memory Man' does sound interesting, as I do like an extra chorus option on my board... Happen to have a schematic for that? And I'm going to check out the AD-999 and DOD FX-90 as well.

Paul

Scruffie

Quote from: DutchMF on May 15, 2013, 04:44:05 PM
Well, I think I'll just go with an Aquaboy (older version), Haberdasher can probably etch me one... But that 'Economy Memory Man' does sound interesting, as I do like an extra chorus option on my board... Happen to have a schematic for that? And I'm going to check out the AD-999 and DOD FX-90 as well.

Paul
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v517/uncle_boko/EHeconomyMMan.gif

You'll want to add some kind of boost to the output if you go with this one.

The Stereo memory man works as a stand alone chorus too btw.
Works at Lectric-FX