News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Baking Enamel over Water Slide Decal ok?

Started by Jallenfuzz, May 12, 2013, 02:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jallenfuzz

I have been baking my enamel paints and using water slide decals and finishing them with clear coat enamel.  Has anyone baked on an enamel after putting a decal on the pedal? Will this work ok or will it ruin the decal? Any advise will help.. Thanks

selfdestroyer

Quote from: Jallenfuzz on May 12, 2013, 02:00:10 PM
I have been baking my enamel paints and using water slide decals and finishing them with clear coat enamel.  Has anyone baked on an enamel after putting a decal on the pedal? Will this work ok or will it ruin the decal? Any advise will help.. Thanks

The one time I did this the water slide paper turned a yellow color and looked horrible.

rullywowr

Depends on the heat settings and also the paper you are using.  I bake clear waterslides with clear powdercoat on top with good results.  Heat around 375F.

If you bake too long at too high a temp, you can get some discoloring.  I would try first with a sample piece just to see how it comes out.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

TNblueshawk

Man, I'd rather just wait half a day or so than take the chance of having to strip that sucker down. But then I'm chicken.
John

Jallenfuzz

Where do you buy your water slides? What brand? I've been getting mine from pedal parts plus but I saw one brand that claimed it was heat resistant. It said to print a mirror image place it on backwards and wipe off the glue. The one I tried and messed up was only baked at 200 deg.

TNblueshawk

I get mine from Texas Craft or maybe the site is called Papilio. I've gotten them from the for a few years now. No complaints at all but they are not cheap so I bought in quantity.
John

Jallenfuzz

selfdestroyer

I just picked up 20 sheets of Papilio laser printer clear decal paper from Amazon last week. I am going to attempt to try it again and see if I get the same results. I really want to have other options than just doing the rubber stamps.

Jallenfuzz

I would love to hear your results! I was checking that paper out..