News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Porkbarrel distorting

Started by billstein, May 12, 2013, 02:01:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billstein

Just finished a Pork Barrel build and everything is working great. The LFO mod is working and I hear the chorus, but when I pick hard there is a lot of distortion. Will it help to box it? Any suggestions?

Everything is stock except for the LFO mod. It is MN3007.

Thanks,
Bill

billstein

Never mind. Stupid mistake as usual.  :(

gingataff

Care to share?

I've got a touch of distortion on my porkbarrel when I run it at 9v, its clean at 15v (though that brings other problems). I have the LFO mod too.

billstein

Alright, but this won't help you, it will only show how lame I can be. I have my test rig on the floor in my office. The floor is a mess with all kinds of effects. I had a lot to do tonight so I was really rushing when I tested the chorus. I wired it up to the test rig, heard distortion, freaked out and rushed to the forum. Later, I decided to give it another go, maybe I messed up biasing. I stooped down to turn the trimmer and noticed I had a Harmonic Energizer in the chain and turned on. It adds a touch of distortion. I rarely hook up another pedal with a pedal on the test rig but earlier today I did. Discovered some great Michael Schenker tone with the Slow Lori and the Harmonic Energizer.

I haven't been able to really test out the Chorus yet, but what I did hear sounded really good.

I swear I'm way to stupid for this hobby. :) Yet, I've built a bunch of pedals that are great.

billstein

Quote from: gingataff on May 12, 2013, 06:28:22 AM
Care to share?

I've got a touch of distortion on my porkbarrel when I run it at 9v, its clean at 15v (though that brings other problems). I have the LFO mod too.

I was thinking about going to 15v, what kind of problems does that create?

gingataff

Good to hear you're getting good tones!
Those Systech pedals get great Schenker tones eh?
I almost bought the Systech Overdrive once, which has a tone control that's like bandpass boost so it's similar to the Harmonic energizer. Lots and Zappa and Schenker in that one too.

As for the porkbarrel, I'm using a road rage for the 15v.
When I turn the depth up to about 1 o'clock I get distortion/clock noise in time with the LFO.

I removed the board from the case to see if it was interference from the dc jack and the led but that didn't help much. I even removed the roadrage and put it in its own enclosure, still no help.
I've used a 1 spot and a Voodoo Labs PP2+.
I seem to remember that it was ok running the roadrage from a battery but I'll need to try that again, I'm sure it will drain batteries pretty quickly though.

I might just build another roadrage and try that too.