News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Stage Fright

Started by juansolo, May 10, 2013, 03:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

Stage Fright

Madbean's Stage Fright phaser (based on the Maestro). It was well worth the wait this one. Epic phasage.

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

micromegas

Awesome inside & outside!
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

juansolo

If I'd thought ahead the wiring would have been invisible, But I put the jacks in the wrong way around to allow it :( Saying that, as it is the board is actually removable really easily, it wouldn't have been had I done it the other way.

raulduke

Wow... that is a stunner.

Love the graphics and look on this one John.

In fact... is that one of Coles BD's Turqoise Enclosures?

If so my build is going to look very similar to yours!

Going to start building mine this weekend.

That PCB layout looks so neat and tidy too.

pickdropper

Just love the graphics on this one.  Brilliant.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

juansolo

Quote from: raulduke on May 10, 2013, 03:48:56 PM
Wow... that is a stunner.

Love the graphics and look on this one John.

In fact... is that one of Coles BD's Turqoise Enclosures?

If so my build is going to look very similar to yours!

Going to start building mine this weekend.

That PCB layout looks so neat and tidy too.

It is indeed a ColesBD box. It's actually pearl which you can't really catch with the camera (blue/green). We have quite a stash of his boxes now :) We've had none in for months (hence the gap in posting anything), I think there's 40+ kicking around now :)

I had no idea what to do with this one decal-wise. But I was feeling creative and knocked this and Cleggy's Small Clone design out one evening sort of inspired by the original pedals. Really like the way both of them came out. Even though it's not my usual style.

Giantsinbloom

This is a truly awesome build. I absolutely love the graphic choice on this, and the contrast between the chrome and pearl blue is eye popping. Also, the guts are insanely neat.

Just out of curiosity, what is the small black 2PDT board with the additional components? I am seeing that pop up in quite a few projects as of late. Is it meant to eliminate switch pop?

micromegas

the small black board is the Opto-Tron Optical Bypass Board from 1776effects (sadly discontinued), but he still keeps the BOM on his page and I think you can order them if you place a batch order
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

Stomptown

Pristine build! I love the vintage look of this one and that blue really stands out...

midwayfair

Such a beautiful color.

juansolo

Quote from: micromegas on May 10, 2013, 04:21:56 PM
the small black board is the Opto-Tron Optical Bypass Board from 1776effects (sadly discontinued), but he still keeps the BOM on his page and I think you can order them if you place a batch order

I admit that we cleaned him out when we found out he was discontinuing them. He'll probably do a batch run for you though if you want a load. I suspect you'd have to source your own H11F1's though (RS in the UK stock them for very sensible money).

We've got just under 40 left. When we get low we'll certainly be wanting a lot if anyone else is interested in getting some and getting the numbers up for Josh for it to be worthwhile.

Diamond

Nice! I have a board on the way right now. Have you compared it, soundwise, to other phasers? I myself like the EHX Small Stone, but sometimes think the clean signal doesn't come through enough. I'm hoping this one will fix that but still has a large sweep.

jvg13

juansolo

Quote from: Diamond on May 10, 2013, 05:13:30 PM
Nice! I have a board on the way right now. Have you compared it, soundwise, to other phasers? I myself like the EHX Small Stone, but sometimes think the clean signal doesn't come through enough. I'm hoping this one will fix that but still has a large sweep.

Haven't got a Small Stone to compare it to sadly. It's very different to a phase 45/90 though. I really like it. Surprising difference between 5/6 stages also. All very useful.

Quote from: jvg13 on May 10, 2013, 05:24:04 PM
Really cool indeed man; pristine looking & great choice of knobs!

Out of curiosity, any reason you've added the pulsing LED to the board (on the inside)?  I didn't think it added to the sound of the effect so left it & associated pair of resistors off.

Stuck the resistors on during the build, so just stuck a LED in as we've got loads. No reason to really. Never planned to have the blinking LED as the Optotron doesn't support it.

Quote from: jvg13 on May 10, 2013, 05:24:04 PMAlso, how did you find biasing this?  Mine worked the entire sweep of the pot, I got none of the oscillation that Brian referred to... it just altered the tone a bit (made things less trebly in general).

I spent a bit of time trying different quad op amps I've got (and other matched BJT npn/ pnp pairs).

Never thought I'd say this, & contradicting a post I think I made in here, but I was kind of left with the feeling the 74 may not be as good as dual or single op amp versions of the same thing... Oh no I sound a bit like one of those audiophiles  :-[ :-X  ;)

Similar. The trim pot worked all the way round and tweaking it altered the depth of the sweep. I just set it to it's deepest setting. Didn't get noise anywhere (apart from the usual swooshing). Nice and easy to dial in.

gtr2

I had no interest in building one of these until I see this inspiring build!

Must resist, to little time, must resist...

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer