News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

First two Builds: Slambox & Sabertooth

Started by Giantsinbloom, May 10, 2013, 02:45:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giantsinbloom

So I know these are not the most beauteous builds on the site, but seeing as they are my first two ever completed I thought I may as well throw them up here. The Sabertooth was started about two years ago when I was still in Grad school, and is finally done... now that I have free time and a life and all that. Special thanks to those that helped me trouble shoot both pedals!

Things I Learned:
- The gut shots on both these are pretty embarrassing. I need to clean things up on the next build. Much less wire!  ;D

- You dont need a 1590BB for a board the size of a sabertooth... ha!

- Soldering Practice helps a TON as you can see the difference between my sabertooth (first project) and the slambox.

- The board needs to be mounted with the component side toward the bottom.

Thanks for peekin! Next up is a Rub-A-Dub! That ones actually gonna get some artwork...

sirbergersworth

Looks better than my first two builds. Cheers to you.

Sent using Tapatalk
"Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand, says, "Don't you see?"
-Robert Hunter

selfdestroyer

Quote from: sirbergersworth on May 10, 2013, 03:17:37 AM
Looks better than my first two builds. Cheers to you.

Sent using Tapatalk

Exactly what I was thinking, these look great. I love the color choices. Great work Giantsinbloom.

alanp

Soldering is like any manual activity -- the more you practice it, the better you'll become.

That said, looks good from where I'm sitting ^_^V

Although, with the battery clip on the Slambox, if you replace the In jack with a stereo one, and attach the ground wire for the battery clip to the Ring tab, the circuit will only draw current from the battery (ie on it's way to draining it) when a lead is plugged into it :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Giantsinbloom

Thanks for the kind words everyone! The best part about starting this hobby has been the community.

And alanp, thanks for the tip! I just got some extra stereo jacks for a new project so I'll give that a shot tonight!

das234

They look good to me!  I just finished my first build also and you're absolutely right about the community.  Great bunch of guys (and presumably girls but I don't think I've met one yet).

midwayfair

That green is really pretty. What finish is it?

nzCdog

Nice builds man, great colours and great circuit choices!  Enjoy 8)

Giantsinbloom

Quote from: midwayfair on May 12, 2013, 11:19:22 PM
That green is really pretty. What finish is it?

I could not be happier with that color. Its the Granny Smith Apple sparkle from Mammoth. Its even prettier in person.

Quote from: nzCdog on May 13, 2013, 04:15:44 AM
Nice builds man, great colours and great circuit choices!  Enjoy 8)

Thanks! The slambox is my favorite by far. I have been using it in front of my Valve Jr., and it really helps take away the sponginess of that amp.