News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wiring layout for 2 compressors in one enclosure???

Started by QuatroMule, May 08, 2013, 08:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuatroMule

Hello, the rangemaster turned out great, so to everyone who helped with their response, thanks a lot.  My current project is to have one enclosure with both a Ross comp and a squeezer in it.  Initially I was going to give them both individual inputs and outputs, but I position them roughly the same on my pedalboard, so I would like to put one input, one output and one power supply and battery option.  I'm assuming that the wiring for the inputs and outputs would be fairly self explanatory, but does anyone know where I could glance at a layout of a dual pedal sharing the same power supply?  Thanks in advance for y'all's assistance.

jkokura

You don't really need a diagram, but I can tell you this - run a wire from each PCB to the same lug on the DC jack. This puts them in parallel, which feeds them both 9V. If you run them in series, you'd halve the power and give them each 4.5V, so don't do that. Just run two wires to the same place on the jack.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

QuatroMule

Gotcha. Thanks.  I'm thinking the input and output will be the same?  Wires from each board to same legs of jacks?

jkokura

No, actually those don't work the same. In that case, you don't want them in parallel, you want them in series.

Essentially: Input Jack > Effect 1 switch > Effect 2 switch > Output Jack.

Effect 1 switch would send and return from effect 1. Effect 2 switch would also send and return from effect 2.

That's if you want independent control over the on/off function of each effect.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

QuatroMule

Yes!  I definitely want independently controlled pedals.  That actually seems like its the opposite of how it should be???  That's weird, it sounds like you have actually done the 2 independent pedals in 1 enclosure before?  If they are wired in series like that, can they both be on together? And would u recommend 2 inputs and 2 outputs?  I actually considered that, but it seems a little much and I don't change the order of my compressors anyway??? (I may sell the pedal to my bandmate also...)

jkokura

Two inputs and outputs allows you some more flexibility. For instance, you can route effect one after effect two by going into effect two's input first, then from it's output into effect one's input.

However, with these sorts of effects, compressors aren't really a commonly stacked pedal. Running two compressors in series is actually counterproductive, and I would highly, highly recommend one of two options:

1) Build them with independent ins and outs. this would allow you to run these effects in different places on your pedalboard. For instance, run one before you distortion pedals, and another after. They will sound different placed in different locations.

2) Build them with a single bypass switch, and a second switch that chooses between the two compressors. Then you can build the pedal with one in and one out, and bypass it with one switch. The real beauty is that you can have two separate compressors setup two different ways, and so between songs or even in a song you can switch from one compression setting to another with just one stomp.

While I'm at it. I highly recommend the Afterlife compressor from Madbean over the Orange Squeezer. It's a better design, and a great PCB. I also highly recommend the Engineer's Thumb compressor over the Ross/Dyna type - it's much quieter and sounds about the same. You can get that one from JMK PCBs.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

QuatroMule

Thanks a lot!  I sincerely appreciate the assistance!