News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Road Rage particulars re: components vs. functionality...

Started by maysink, January 12, 2011, 05:06:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maysink

So this handy little board can do all kinds of things. But it might seem, looking at the schematic and the TC1044 datasheet, not all components are necessary depending on what you want the RR to do. So, can anyone confirm/deny the following:

If one does NOT want a regulated output, there is no need to populate REG1 (obviously) *AND* C6 (less obvious). This setup should provide either -9v or ~18v with aplomb.

If one wants ONLY -9v output, one need not populate D1, D2, C1, C2, C6 & REG1.

Does that make sense?

[nothing to see here]
-e

rowland1

I was wondering the same thing about the regulator. Do you select a regulator based on the regulated voltage that you want? I'd also benefit from a wiring diagram or description. Thanks!!

pandadandan

For 18v you don't need a regulator.  In fact, if you check the schematic you'll see that the regulator has no connection to the 18v output.  It is there to provide a +9v regulated output, presumably so you get a good balanced +/- bipolar output for pedals which require such (all of the Anderton circuits spring to mind)

For just the voltage doubler, you could safely omit C4, C5 and C6, as well as (I think...) C3 and D3 which are there for filtering and polarity safety.

pandadandan

in addendum, this question is a GREAT chance to utilise a datasheet
http://datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/ICL7660-MAX1044.pdf

Page 9 reveals a lot of magical secrets  ;) :D

maysink

In regards to making the RR deliver REGULATED voltage, unless you NEED 5v or 12v or 15v (or XXv) you can omit the regulator. For example, PT2399 delay chips need 5v. I imagine it would be easier to purchase a regulated 9v adapter if you need a constant 9v output rather than build a regulated 9v RoadRage.

pandadandan: good call on the page 9 diagrams
[nothing to see here]
-e

jkokura

Madbean has also provided us with a reference sheet for how to use the Road rage to get -9V without installing all the parts.

Check out the last page of the zygote form: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/Zygote/docs/Zygote.pdf

Perhaps the madbean could revise the road rage board documents to show all the variations and what parts need to be there and what can be excluded depending on the usage? I know it's one more thing on the gigantic pile of projects but...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

maysink

Quote from: jkokura on January 12, 2011, 07:17:45 PM
Madbean has also provided us with a reference sheet for how to use the Road rage to get -9V without installing all the parts.

Nice! I'd never looked at that project doc before.
[nothing to see here]
-e

masterlk

+1

Quote from: jkokura on January 12, 2011, 07:17:45 PM
Perhaps the madbean could revise the road rage board documents to show all the variations and what parts need to be there and what can be excluded depending on the usage? I know it's one more thing on the gigantic pile of projects but...

Jacob