News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

4 position switch increments and aligning text to the increments?

Started by GhostofJohnToad, May 07, 2013, 08:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GhostofJohnToad

So I am working on finishing up my ZPSDX and am trying to figure out the placement for the text descriptions for the 4 different modes.  How are you guys doing this?  Is there a specific angle increment the switches are keyed to?  Or are you guys just trial and error'ing it.

aballen

Trial and error man, it will really depend on the size of the knob you are using.

I print my designs out on paper, cut holes where the pots are, put the knobs on, make sure it s right.  I'll do this quite a few times before I'm satisfied.

only when I'm happy with my paper version do I get attempt to etch a faceplate, make a waterslide, etch the case, etc.

fendman

If you look at the zpsdx I have just completed,  you will see a white chicken head and it is way to big... but I only used it as I am waiting for some smaller knobs I ordered.

As aballen said it is trial and error, just put a knob on it and measure the arc as you rotate the switch...you will get a rough idea of the size you require.

Mike

davent

The switches i have are all 12 position based, whether 1 x 12 or 4 x 3, a tabbed washer acts as a position stop preventing it from switching to too many positions. So... 360°/12= 30° between stops.

To create a label using simple CAD software,

Draw a circle slightly greater in diameter then the switch's mounting hole. Based on the same center point draw a second slightly larger in diameter then the knob you want to use.

Draw a ray from the circle center to the 9 o'clock position extend it to just past the outer circle and stop it at the point where you want your legending word to end.

Highlight the ray, the software will have provisions for radially copying the ray around the center point of your circles. You'll end up with 12 same length rays emanating from the center of your circle 30° apart, your position markers.

For, 4 positions, oriented to the side, you'll probably want to rotate the whole deal 15°.

Label your four rays. Dress it up however you want.

Delete everything you don't want to be seen but not the small circle and crosshairs as you'll need them to position the label/decal.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

jkokura

brilliant.

I need a tutorial on how to do the ray thing in inkscape. And cross hairs.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

GhostofJohnToad

Fantastic davent!  That's exactly what I was looking for!

I don't mind the trial and error method if I have to but... I love a well thought out plan. 

ch1naski

Awesome little how-to, davent. Definitely going into the "things I need to know" file.

Now if I could just figure out how to do that in Photoshop/Illustrator.....:o

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
one louder.

aballen

pickdropper

I use a similar method in Illustrator.  It's really not too bad.  Just draw the circle and then add the lines.  You can do it by  adding each individual line at defined angles or you can copy some of them and rotate them as needed.  Instead of deleting the template, I usually put it on a separate alignment layer and hide it before I print or make it non-printable.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

chromesphere

Hey GhostofJohnToad,

I posted this some time ago.  Its a group of knob dials i made in fireworks.  It's a png so you can edit them any way you like.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=5494.0

Hope it helps!
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.