Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A couple more Ross Comps

Started by pickdropper, May 07, 2013, 01:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jubal81

Quote from: pickdropper on May 07, 2013, 02:32:46 PM
Quote from: jubal81 on May 07, 2013, 02:27:23 PM
Spectacular. Love the aesthetic. Reminds me of some device from the 1984 Dune.

You know it's only a matter of time before somebody releases a pedal called "The Weirding Module."

It will almost instantaneously be mocked and ridiculed by fans of the book that hated David Lynch's take on it.

I don't get why so many people love to hate on it. I think the style - sets, costumes, look - were epic.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

fendman

Very nice Dave, love them both.  :)

Great work.

Mike.

Parra

that blue comp is one the most friggin beautiful pedals i've ever seen, i wonder if you can make a pedal that's not a beauty. i doubt it. keep raising the bar, only good things can come out of it!

wgc

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

nzCdog

I'm a fan... nice builds mate :)

davent

What's left to be said?
...Gorgeous Dave, head to toe gorgeous!

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

pickdropper

Quote from: billstein on May 07, 2013, 04:55:59 PM
Quote from: rullywowr on May 07, 2013, 04:08:03 PM
Love the pedals, great art deco vibe.

I have a question:  Those frensel lenses look great.  I ordered some of them and I also ordered the "spacers" which look like small rubber o-rings.  In your pedal I see there is some sort of nylon looking collar around the LED...is that part of the frensel system or did it come with the LED?  Thanks in advance.

I have the same question. I wanted to order some but the data sheet at Mouser is pretty confusing on exactly what you need.

It is indeed a plastic part that snaps on from the back. I'll look up the part number later and post it.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

pickdropper

Quote from: jubal81 on May 07, 2013, 06:15:08 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on May 07, 2013, 02:32:46 PM
Quote from: jubal81 on May 07, 2013, 02:27:23 PM
Spectacular. Love the aesthetic. Reminds me of some device from the 1984 Dune.

You know it's only a matter of time before somebody releases a pedal called "The Weirding Module."

It will almost instantaneously be mocked and ridiculed by fans of the book that hated David Lynch's take on it.

I don't get why so many people love to hate on it. I think the style - sets, costumes, look - were epic.

Yeah, I liked it as well.  It does stray quite a but from the book, but I liked the overall vision.  It will always go down as one of the bigger scifi flops of all time because it was high budget and it didn't get the turnout they were hoping for.  Rumor has it that it was so over budget that De Laurentis (not sure about that spelling) threatened to rip a page out of the script for every day that Lynch ran longer.  I'm not sure if he ever did, but the ending is somewhat abbreviated.
Function f(x)

jvg13

Impressive and really classy looking builds! (...dare I say it, they almost look too sophisticated for the effect inside them... that style of artwork would look fantastic on an amp)

I particularly like the bluey-turquoise one - what kind of paint did you use if you don't mind me asking?

Out of curiosity - do you prefer the Ross over the original Dyna Comp?

pickdropper

Quote from: jvg13 on May 09, 2013, 08:52:59 AM
Impressive and really classy looking builds! (...dare I say it, they almost look too sophisticated for the effect inside them... that style of artwork would look fantastic on an amp)

I particularly like the bluey-turquoise one - what kind of paint did you use if you don't mind me asking?

Out of curiosity - do you prefer the Ross over the original Dyna Comp?

The Blue-Turquoise one is a color from Pedal Parts Plus called Candy Teal.  It's one of the transparent colors that you can see the defects in the enclosure in, which I really like.

I haven't built a Dyna comp, personally.  I've played through the MXR Dyna Comps over the years, but I haven't compared this particular build against it.  A buddy of mine has one.  I should do that.
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Quote from: spaceboss on May 07, 2013, 04:01:54 PM
Really digging the blue one.  8)

I think I'm going to put mine in a tall BB with an afterlife and a squeezer, so I have all three major compression bases covered in one box.

I somehow missed this.

I can't wait to see your 3-in-1 comp build.  Please do a build report when you are done.  Are you going to do a rotary selector switch or separate footswitches so the tone can be multi-squeezed? 
Function f(x)

raulduke

Wow.

They are really beautiful builds dude.

Just stunning  :o