News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

I think I'm done with mechanical bypass.

Started by midwayfair, May 06, 2013, 07:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

Apparently every pedal with mechanical bypass has decided it's now going to pop in front of my amp.  ::)

Trying to decide if I want to go with millennium, opto-FET, or buffered ...

This is not going to be fun in 1590A builds. >:(

pickdropper

It pops even with a pull-down on the output?  I've run u to a couple that absolutely needed that or they would pop, regardless if there was one on the input or not.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

gtr2

Is there any voltage coming from your amp?

My old champ gives a pop with my pedals because I need to change out a leaky input cap on the amp. My pedals don't pop on my other amps.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

midwayfair

Dave: Yeah, it's every mechanical bypass pedal, even ones that I know don't pop on other amps.

I'm really worried it's a leaky input cap. I'm not exactly keen on going into my Tone King and futzing around. :(

Maybe I'll ask Mark Bartell if he can at least recommend someone. Probably Invisible Sound ... not exactly cheap.

culturejam

I should think you would be able to handle swapping out the input cap. I mean, unless it's some kind of really complex setup on the inside that would require lots of labor to pull apart.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

midwayfair

Quote from: culturejam on May 06, 2013, 08:54:13 PM
I should think you would be able to handle swapping out the input cap. I mean, unless it's some kind of really complex setup on the inside that would require lots of labor to pull apart.

I wouldn't say complex, but it's PCB, so it would require removing the entire board.

rullywowr

It's really a piece of cake as long as you drain the filter caps properly so you don't get zappeD! bzzzzzzzzzzt  :P

Just pop it open to find out what type and rating they are and order some on your next order from Mouser or whatever.

Seriously, be careful I have gotten shocked by 500VDC and its no fun.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

ChrisM

Most tube amps don't have input caps.

The grid (input) of the tube is referenced to ground usually and has no voltage one it. It would be good to plug in a cable to your amp and put your DMM across the tip to sleeve and measure the voltage to confirm (should read 0V).

gtr2

So could the voltage come off of a faulty preamp tube?
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

midwayfair

Quote from: gtr2 on May 07, 2013, 12:38:47 AM
So could the voltage come off of a faulty preamp tube?

I think it's a brand new tube, but I will try replacing it.

davent

Jon, You could test the vdc leakage theory (from amp) by putting a cap between your pedal output and your amp input.

Can't say i've ever seen an amp with a 12a_7 input tube that used an input cap but have seen them used with pentode input tubes to combat the leakage.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

alexradium

Try putting a 1k/100 ohms in series with the effect output,that should help discharge dc offset on caps

Inviato dal mio Galaxy Nexus con Tapatalk 2

Cortexturizer

This is exactly what I was getting in rehearsal spaces. Home, with my amp, I hear no poping at all. But almost wherever I go, some places are worse than others, I get annoying pops. I don't pay much attention to them on loud song, but when you're playing a jazzy ballad, oh boy, it's so f-in annoying.

When I saw the name of the topic I was trembling with joy. Anyone who has build more than 50 pedals has gotten sick of mechanical bypass, I mean, DOD, Ibanez, Boss, MAxon, were killing themselves in the eighties to give us clickless, silent, insanely durable bypass and the one day here comes the champ Mike Fuller and says, no, that's bull, you gotta use true bypass maaaan.
(okay yeah, fuzz faces, tone benders, had true bypass before F pedals but it doesn't matter) :D
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

soldersqueeze

Could you not build a TB strip using non-mechanical bypass and use that? It would save "fixing" all the pedals you currently own...

spaceboss

I'm getting interested in relay bypassing.

I know little to nothing about it. I haven't seen any self-etch boards for relay bypass--and the kits are fairly expensive. I know that this would be more $$ than the little blue 3pdts, even with everything self sourced. But I make about ten pedals a year or so, so it won't break me. Do the relays themselves have to be pre-programmed?

Do to spacing issues in my latest box, I ordered a couple relay kits, so I'll see how they work in practice.