News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Eagle: am I on the right track?

Started by selfdestroyer, May 05, 2013, 07:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

selfdestroyer

I am attempting this weekend to learn some Eagle. I do not have any EE background and like a lot of people in the DIY scene I have learned along the way. I used to so VERO layouts when I first started a year ago and now I etch all my own boards so I figured instead of looking for transfers all the time I need to start making them. Logical right? I was a Mark's site tagboardeffects and he has a verified JHS Mini Bomb that is a copy of a Escobedo Duende JFET. I wanted to make a schematic from looking at the Vero and this is all new to me. Can someone take a look at what I came up with a see if it looks right? Then I will know that Im on the right track.

Here is what I used for reference.
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2013/04/escobedo-duende-jfet-jhs-minibomb.html

Here is my schematic.

Here is my layout.

Thanks

Cody

Stomptown

I'm not familiar with the project your working on so I can't help verify, but I did notice a couple things. The pads for in/out/9v/gnd are very small; especially if you plan on etching using your layout. I would look for the 2012  madbean eagle library if you don't already have it and use the supply pads he provides (i use his library for all of my parts). It also looks like you could tighten up your layout if you use a resistor package with a tighter lead spacing. The madbean library has many resistor choices as well.  The layout looks great otherwise. I have the feeling this is the beginning if many layouts in your future. Eagle is super fun and super addictive!  ;D

Rockhorst

You can use the 'smash up' tool to separate trxt from component. Then you can move/rotate the text for your supply pins and save some space.

@Stomptown: I also had the problem with the small supply pins and couldn't find proper ones in the madbean lib. Very strange, don't know why, but it wasn't there (I think). I had to make a copy of the supply lib and edit the components.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: Stomptown on May 05, 2013, 08:35:16 AM
I'm not familiar with the project your working on so I can't help verify, but I did notice a couple things. The pads for in/out/9v/gnd are very small; especially if you plan on etching using your layout. I would look for the 2012  madbean eagle library if you don't already have it and use the supply pads he provides (i use his library for all of my parts). It also looks like you could tighten up your layout if you use a resistor package with a tighter lead spacing. The madbean library has many resistor choices as well.  The layout looks great otherwise. I have the feeling this is the beginning if many layouts in your future. Eagle is super fun and super addictive!  ;D

Thanks for the comments, I am using Brian's library and also Gaussmarkov's. I will look at the supply pins again and see if there are larger ones. Your right about the pin spacing for the resistors. I used a larger spacing. I will change that. I am pretty concerned that I did not do the "Vero to Schematic" properly since its the first time I have tried it. Any comments on that?

Quote from: Rockhorst on May 05, 2013, 09:22:46 AM
You can use the 'smash up' tool to separate trxt from component. Then you can move/rotate the text for your supply pins and save some space.

Thanks so much for that tip, I was looking everywhere for that.

culturejam

Here is the original schematic (Duende):
http://folkurban.com/Site/DuendeJFET-699.html

Check your +9v connection. It's not correct.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Stomptown

Quote from: selfdestroyer on May 05, 2013, 09:33:28 AM

Thanks for the comments, I am using Brian's library and also Gaussmarkov's. I will look at the supply pins again and see if there are larger ones. Your right about the pin spacing for the resistors. I used a larger spacing. I will change that. I am pretty concerned that I did not do the "Vero to Schematic" properly since its the first time I have tried it. Any comments on that?

Do you have the 2012 Madbean Library? I just realized that all of his supply pins are for renaming nets. They do not add a supply pad to the circuit board. :( I'm really not sure why, but I have been using his 2011 library as well and it has supply pins with the pads like the GM library but sized like pads for other components. Can anyone explain how they are adding pads to their circuit board if they are exclusively using the MB 2012 library?

I also noticed that your lead spacing for your diode is pretty small if you plan to etch. It will work, but I always fear that squeezing the leads in will put too much pressure on the copper and make it come off the board. If you are using Tayda 1N4001's it's not as big of a deal since the leads are thinner. Regardless I would go with the next size up or the size down with the diode standing.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: culturejam on May 05, 2013, 03:21:01 PM
Here is the original schematic (Duende):
http://folkurban.com/Site/DuendeJFET-699.html

Check your +9v connection. It's not correct.

I am trying to compare the VERO to the schematic you sent me and I am having a hard time deciphering the  two. What am I missing here?

From the looks of it the vero has a diode in series with the cap and the schematic have both parts going to ground.

They are both "verified" sources and need some help with an explanation of this or am I just looking at it wrong?

culturejam

The vero layout has the diode in series with +9V, while the original schematic has it in parallel. Both will work. There are some other difference as well, such as no trimmer. If I were you, I would just follow the original schematic. There's no need to reverse-engineer a layout when you have the original schematic. ;)

But that's not what I was talking about. You need your power supply connected on the other side of C1 (that is, directly connected to JFET's drain through the 5K1 resistor.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: culturejam on May 06, 2013, 02:27:57 AM
The vero layout has the diode in series with +9V, while the original schematic has it in parallel. Both will work. There are some other difference as well, such as no trimmer. If I were you, I would just follow the original schematic. There's no need to reverse-engineer a layout when you have the original schematic. ;)

So Im not going crazy.. I know I should follow the schematic but I really want to get used to reversing a vero since Mark and counterparts at Tagboardeffects do a lot of layouts that I cannot find the schematics for.. I follow him at FSB and DIYSP just for that reason. I figured something with such a low part count would be fun to learn on.. plus its not a bad sounding dirty boost.

Quote from: culturejam on May 06, 2013, 02:27:57 AM
But that's not what I was talking about. You need your power supply connected on the other side of C1 (that is, directly connected to JFET's drain through the 5K1 resistor.

I see it now.. thanks for pointing that out I totally missed it.

rullywowr

Do you have the 2012 Madbean Library? I just realized that all of his supply pins are for renaming nets. They do not add a supply pad to the circuit board. :( I'm really not sure why, but I have been using his 2011 library as well and it has supply pins with the pads like the GM library but sized like pads for other components. Can anyone explain how they are adding pads to their circuit board if they are exclusively using the MB 2012 library?

I have just started with Eagle and this whole things threw me for a loop as well.  Jacob's excellent Eagle tutorial has him using the GND(T) and +9V(T) pads but in the 2012 Madbean library they are non existent - I was lost looking for them.

The plus side of using Brian's net naming "place holder" is you can add as many pads as you want.  Simply draw a VIA on the board view and rename it to the NET of your choice.  This makes it easy to add multiple GND, etc.  The disadvantage is that you have to manually place a text "name" next to it so you know what that via pad does.

Most of Brian's pads are 1mm ID by 2mm OD.  Makes it easy.  The stock pads in the GM layout are just too small for most etching.  I use at least 1mm x 2mm for pads and like to run a 32mil trace width if I am etching my own.

I have also imported Gauss Markov's library with the GND(T) and +9V(T) pads and so forth but I edited them in the library to be larger 1mm ID by 2mm OD or thereabouts.  I think I edited the actual "SQUARE PAD" part so it is larger in all the Supply Pins which use this style pad.  I merged these with Brian's library so I have the best of both worlds - "T" or place holder.  Sometimes it is just easier to grab a (T) variant and if you need more hookups just add a VIA and name it the same as that net.

Hope this helps, I was totally dumbfounded when I started and couldn't find the (T) version.   8)

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

culturejam

Use the net naming parts to, uh, name the nets. Then add a pad (or several) and connect it to that net.

I haven't used madbean's library that much, but surely there are pads in the "supply" lib file, no?

rullywowr

Quote from: culturejam on May 06, 2013, 05:42:50 PM

I haven't used madbean's library that much, but surely there are pads in the "supply" lib file, no?

Unfortunately, no. 

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Stomptown

Quote from: culturejam on May 06, 2013, 05:42:50 PM
Use the net naming parts to, uh, name the nets. Then add a pad (or several) and connect it to that net.

I have Brian's 2011 and 2012 libraries and the 2012 supply pins do not have pads associated with them (or at least I cannot figure it out). The 2011 MB library does have pads associated with the supply pins like the GM library but with a larger pin size. I use the 2011 library most of the time, but there are some great additions to the 2012 library as well. I'm sure there is some explanation as to why there are no supply pins but I'm not sure...

If anyone wants the 2011 Madbean library send me a PM with your email address and I'll send it to you...

culturejam

Quote from: Stomptown on May 06, 2013, 06:08:31 PM
I have Brian's 2011 and 2012 libraries and the 2012 supply pins do not have pads associated with them (or at least I cannot figure it out).

You don't need to have pads associated with the net name parts. You can just add them separately as pads from the library. But if they aren't in MB's suite, you can also just search for them in the giant set of default libraries. Just search "pad" and you should find them.

Or you can add them as vias on the layout and rename them to whatever net they should connect to. Just make sure to adjust the drill size accordingly.

madbean

I don't use pads with supply pins anymore...just vias in layout. Actually, the only supply pin I use now is ground. Everything else I'm just naming nets and using flags to label them. This is a MUCH better way to do it than supply pins.