News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Chunk Chunk of Death

Started by jimilee, April 30, 2013, 01:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Here is a Chunk Chunk I built for a friend. It's built to specs. My friend is new to guitar and wanted something that sounds like a Mesa Boogie, I believe Bean nailed it with this one. I was asked how it sounds,and my reply was obnoxious! This is also the frst time I used the 1776 footstomp board. I am shipping this pedal to Savannah Ga and seeing as how as of lately the footswitch wiring is my kryptonite,this board will fix that issue. My friend picked the graphics,Gears of War I believe,I don't know why. I thought the glowin eyes would just inspire an aspiring metal head.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/jimi-lee-2/chnk-chunk[/soundcloud]
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

GermanCdn

Nice job jimi, if you're shipping it you might want to tack solder those trannies in the sockets so the don't fall out.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

gingataff

Brootal pedal man!
I'm sure your buddy will be very pleased.

Good idea about soldering the trannies. You probably only need to do one leg of each just to stop them falling out.

pickdropper

That's a nice looking build.  Cool graphic.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jimilee

Quote from: GermanCdn on April 30, 2013, 02:02:15 PM
Nice job jimi, if you're shipping it you might want to tack solder those trannies in the sockets so the don't fall out.
cool, thanks, just there on the socket?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

GermanCdn

Yeah, just on one leg.  All you need is a little bit to hold it in place, just make sure you've got the iron at an angle where you're not melting the socket housing at the same time.  It's a quick little operation, easily reversible, and will make sure they don't fall out in shipping.  It's what I do on all my SIP socket mounted components once I've decided on the final components.  It works better if you keep the transistor legs shorter, so that the two unsoldered legs can't rotate out of their holes.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jimilee

Quote from: GermanCdn on April 30, 2013, 04:26:38 PM
Yeah, just on one leg.  All you need is a little bit to hold it in place, just make sure you've got the iron at an angle where you're not melting the socket housing at the same time.  It's a quick little operation, easily reversible, and will make sure they don't fall out in shipping.  It's what I do on all my SIP socket mounted components once I've decided on the final components.  It works better if you keep the transistor legs shorter, so that the two unsoldered legs can't rotate out of their holes.
Yeah,usually by the end of a build I am totally over it, I sometimes forget to trim stuff, Today on a build I am finishing, i forgot the germs and all the trannies,it didn't work the first test! Fixed it though. I will always always always do that!

nzCdog

Chunk of Death!  Awesome, I love how its black to the core! ;)
Nice chugging riffs

jimilee

Quote from: nzCdog on April 30, 2013, 09:14:37 PM
Chunk of Death!  Awesome, I love how its black to the core! ;)
Nice chugging riffs

Thank you, I'm a bassist so obviously that's about all I can do on guitar.  ;D

fendman

Hey jimi, love how you make your pedals looked lived in... looks like they have done gigs forever. 8)

Not saying there is anything wrong with gorgeous perfect looking builds, these guys jimi builds are like real ;)

Mike

jimilee

Quote from: fendman on April 30, 2013, 10:06:19 PM
Hey jimi, love how you make your pedals looked lived in... looks like they have done gigs forever. 8)

Not saying there is anything wrong with gorgeous perfect looking builds, these guys jimi builds are like real ;)

Mike
waterside, polyurethane and no sanding because I'm lazy. Although, I sanded this one just a little bit on the top.

fendman

Looks great Jimi, your friend should be well pleased. I had your demo playing really loud as well 8)

jimilee

Yep, the pedal goes chunk Chunk Chunk, I see how it got its name. It's crap playing really, but it's fun.

wgc

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Rip57

Good pedals make good friends.

Cheers!
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but in the very least you need a beer." ― Frank Zappa