News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Can't take my eyes off it

Started by jubal81, April 30, 2013, 03:48:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jubal81

Saw this on eBay a while back and just noticed it's still for sale. I'm almost tempted to buy just to have it for decoration. It's just so - I don't know. Just an irrational attraction to this crazy thing.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

jkokura

Yeah...

That may be the most unattractive guitar I've ever seen.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jubal81

Quote from: jkokura on April 30, 2013, 03:51:52 AM
Yeah...

Jacob

Exactly. Can't figure out WTH is wrong with my brain.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

raulduke

I think it looks cool  8)

Reminds me of this guys guitar

I'm going to be the devil on your shoulder and say.... buy it  :D!!!

nzCdog

I think it looks cool in a ornamental kinda way... but I'd feel silly playing it live

timbo_93631

I can dig it, but I like some of the whackier stuff Vox put out in the 60's.  Domino's are actually pretty decent for vintage copies of the rarer sort of "space age" Vox and EKO guitars from the era, and ths one has alot of nice qualities. 
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

GermanCdn

I'm betting all you have to do is look at that bridge and it goes out of tune.  No desire to add that to the family.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

DutchMF

Quote from: jkokura on April 30, 2013, 03:51:52 AM
Yeah...

Jacob

Could be, but another contender is the reverse Flying V, the other guitar player from my band has one, but I forbid him to gig with it. Does sound pretty good though....

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

jubal81

Quote from: timbo_93631 on April 30, 2013, 12:08:06 PM
I can dig it, but I like some of the whackier stuff Vox put out in the 60's.  Domino's are actually pretty decent for vintage copies of the rarer sort of "space age" Vox and EKO guitars from the era, and ths one has alot of nice qualities. 

Are those yours? That's a great collection of oddballs.
- David Fair

aballen

spaceboss

If it's not pricey -- say sub $300.00 -- buy it and play the heck out of it. Might sound good with all your voxy pedals.

Haberdasher

i agree that bridge and trem look like a nightmare.  you probably have to retune after playing an open E
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jkokura

I want to see more of Tim's White Semi Hollow on the right side there...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

timbo_93631

No, they aren't mine!  I dug that up on the net.  I have my Twangmaster Tele with JM pickups, an early 50's Harmony Archtop that is waiting to get electrified, another one that is forever waiting for a refret and new binding, and a beat to heck P-Bass copy.  I have had a few 60's Japanese semi-hollows, including a Domino, but let them go years ago when they were literally not worth $40.  Funny to see them fetching a $300-$600 now when they still need alot of work unless you are gonna use it strictly for slide.  A quick rundown of what they usually need to be good players:
-Roller bridge
-Quality tuners, maybe even locking if you are gonna use the stock vibratos much.
-New electronics, maybe even new pickups.
-Fret dressing at the very least, some need pretty extensive fret work.
-Good Setup, trussrod adjustment etc.

So depending on what all you want to do with it and how bad it plays you can sink a few hundred into it and it still be worth $300-$600 or maybe even less to some people because it wasn't original if you sold it.  If you really want one you should look into Phantom Guitar Works guitars.  Well built, stays in tune, and costs the same as doing up an old copy to play nice.  http://www.phantomguitars.com/phantom.html
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups