News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ngd!!

Started by jimilee, April 25, 2013, 02:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

So my brother got a new guitar and had to have it delivered today to my house, because he is a tow boat captain and is gone for 20 days at a time so while the he is away it's my job to make sure everything is ok. It's a john mayor strat with custom hand wound pickups.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

GermanCdn

Nice.  Time to pretend UPS lost it.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

pickdropper

Wow, what did the paint look like before he shipped it UPS?  :-)
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jimilee

Quote from: pickdropper on April 25, 2013, 03:39:22 AM
Wow, what did the paint look like before he shipped it UPS?  :-)
HA! That paint job costs extra my friend! Makes it worth like 700 more. Only gave 1k for it new,can you believe that? Case came with it though. I don't get the attraction myself, but then again I'm a bassist.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

alanp

I don't mind mild relicing... but that level... its either crying out, "I wear sandpaper pants and hair shirts", or "I'm a rough bastard who f*cks up everything I own in two seconds in a drunken rage."

That said, probably plays pretty nicely :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jimilee

It's new, I thought that was a bit much also. The neck is like a baseball bat, no lie, it's huge. If I were a guitar player, I'd hate it. I have small bass player hands

hammerheadmusicman

Awesome, not jealous, not jealous at all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g7J9q8ePkg

really cool video about the original.
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

jimilee

Quote from: hammerheadmusicman on April 25, 2013, 06:51:00 PM
Awesome, not jealous, not jealous at all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g7J9q8ePkg

really cool video about the original.
Dammit, where's the rest of the video?

atreidesheir

I like my relics to have the wood worn also.  Looks better to me.
the CS john mayer has the skunky looking wood. 

"Your relic is a wonderland"
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

hammerheadmusicman

jimilee

It sounds like the video, except for me playing, and not as good, but the tone is identical.

gordo

Man, that looks like it was tied to a bumper and dragged down 9 miles of bad road!  I get it, but I don't get it.  Still...it looks like a pretty sweet guitar and I like the big necks.  I learned to play on a classical so now that I'm building my own stuff they're like war clubs.

On the plus side you don't have to worry about scratching it  :D
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

hammerheadmusicman

You're right, I have a custom shop relic 60' strat, and every bump scratch really doesn't matter..

crash

I don't get it.  Fucked up paint on the body.  No finish on a maple neck, which means it will eventually turn into a pretzel.  And it has John Mayer's name attached to it?  Was the John Oates strat not available?

aballen

I'm not personally a fan of relicing, but Johns reasoning is legit.  Remove the plastic so it can breathe and resonate.  JM has a great sound imho.

All fenders, even custom shop ones are basically encased in plastic.  They used to call it "fullerplast" I think it may have a different name now, but thats how they seal/prime them all.  They put a coat of laquer on top of that and call it a laquer finish, its misleading.  Common practice though.

That guitar looks damn cool too.