News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Nautilus

Started by fendman, April 23, 2013, 09:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fendman

Loved doing this build as I etched the board and  didn't feel to bad about drilling big holes in it  to accommodate the wiring...and there was lots of it in this single sided version. Thanks for the single sided version Brian :)

I used the  Vactrol VTL5C2, and it works fine..so from what I have read in the forums this range of Vactrol 1,2,3 all seem to work.

It really is a great pedal, the LED is usefull for seeing what is happening and shows how sensitive the unit is.you can have it quacking... to going insane and back,you guys who have built it already know what it can do,  the LP,HP,BP modes are all good ,I am getting used to it and have it on its own and sometimes between a fuzz and Josh's multiplex.

Anyway here are a couple of pics I took of the build, I broke a pcb drill  so I used it as a sort of /engraver and as you can see its something different ??Haha, it then got serious and the letters got smaller and yeh eventually some mistakes...but I am going to practice with this method  see what happens with the next build............................ 8) 

Enjoy
Mike

midwayfair

Very clever way to do the labeling.

Also: points for figuring out a good build to use those weird knobs. I can't ever seem to find something they look decent on.

nzCdog

That looks cool, I like the green!

spaceboss

For hand gouging, that looks really good.  8)

fendman

Quote from: midwayfair on April 24, 2013, 01:51:01 AM
Very clever way to do the labeling.

Also: points for figuring out a good build to use those weird knobs. I can't ever seem to find something they look decent on.
Thanks Jon, I got a lot of those weird knobs fron Tayda, Haha, yes I see what you are saying. I have another build close to finishing and you will see some different ones ;D

Quote from: nzCdog on April 24, 2013, 04:58:09 PM
That looks cool, I like the green!

Glad you like it, the flowers are real as well. Forget me nots, the garden is over run with them :)

Quote from: spaceboss on April 24, 2013, 05:16:57 PM
For hand gouging, that looks really good.  8)

Hi spaceboss, I did actually put the broken bit in the drill... it works great, its 0.8mm  and its going really fast
Liked the fact that I have used something that was broken, 8)

DutchMF

Cool build, dude! If you want, I wouldn't mind some more elaborating on how you did the engraving/painting, results are pretty sweet!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

fendman

Hey Paul, I hit on the idea when my PCB drill bit snapped, it fell down on the bench.. it was a router bit which was'nt cheap. So I put the bit in a dremmel type drill and  wrote Nautilus on the inside of the base plate of the enclosure with it and it looked cool.

From there I tried various methods.. ended up writing the characters on waxed paper with a lead pencil, then stuck  repositionable Scotch tape over  them and rubbed the tape for a few minutes. Magic, the characters stuck to the tape..which I then transferred and positioned on the enclosure. I then put the drill over them in a writing fashion just once, took the tape off and went over them again. That was it basically.

I did the Nautilus part and covered the letters with vaseline a grease based product and then put a few coats of rattle can over the whole enclosure.  When dry, I picked the grease of the letters, the other labels were done more or less the same except it was done after it was painted  and then I put a few coats of clear enamel on...Voila!!

I am sticking with this method for the time being, its easier than it sounds, just a bit difficult to explain in  a few words.

Thanks for your interest Paul

Mike