News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Buzzaround Volume Control

Started by das234, April 22, 2013, 07:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

das234

I got a tip from Paul (chromesphere) that I should add a volume control to the Buzzaround when I build it.  Has anyone done this with good results?  Maybe I can benefit from somebody's experience.

Bret608

You can do that, but I don't know for certain what the advantage is. The balance works as a volume control even though it's a bias knob from a technical standpoint. I've heard sound samples of ones with an additional volume control. That will let you crank the balance and use the volume as a master. Unfortunately, I can't tell any difference in sound this creates on YouTube clips.

When I ordered my Buzzaround from Ghost Effects, I asked the maker (Ian Sherwen) what people were up to with the additional volume control. He said he thought it was because they were trying to rein in the volume. It is a loud pedal, but no overly so in my experience. I'd be curious to hear your results if you try this out though!  :)

mjcyates

I just built one and it is way loud without the volume pot. I added the volume pot to my build. I built mine using the vero layout at tagboardeffects.com. It explains how to add the volume pot.

das234

Quote from: mjcyates on April 22, 2013, 09:22:57 PM
I just built one and it is way loud without the volume pot. I added the volume pot to my build. I built mine using the vero layout at tagboardeffects.com. It explains how to add the volume pot.
That's exactly the kind of voice of experience I was looking for.  So, having built one without the volume control and then adding one, would you say it's a necessity?  I will check out the site you mentioned too.

mjcyates

Quotewould you say it's a necessity?

It is for me. I play everything into a clean tube amp and use pedals for all overdrive/fuzz so I need the ability to level out the volumes of all of my pedals.

chromesphere

I have yet to experiment with the balance control, its been a while since i used my buzzaround.  But if it works like your normal bias control does with a fuzz pedal, a volume control will be needed at the end of the effect.  I know nothing about what other people have done in the past, im just guessing here :D  I added a bias control to a tonebender and without a volume control to compensate for the bias volume increase the bias control would be useless.

Edit: there is a 15k resistor that limits Vc at q3 but i imagine it would still have a sizable volume increase...going to have to test this in person...

Anyway, i haven't even tried it so maybe im miles off?  Tempted to add one now though lol

Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube