News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Green Bean and DeadRinger Mashup

Started by ichilton, April 17, 2013, 04:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ichilton

I might be a little crazy, but i'm on a bit of a crazy idea.

I'm thinking of taking a Green Bean (TS808) circuit/board and adding some things from the DeadRinger (Fulldrive 2).

This is what i'm thinking.

- Remove/ignore the FAT/COMP/BRIGHT mods on the Green Bean and build it as a stock TS808.

- Take the clipping setup from the DeadRinger, with a switch to go between diodes and Mosfet

- For the above switch, use an on/off/on, which I believe will give Comp Cut mode in the middle position as it will remove the clipping (right?)

- Have another switch to switch between standard and flat mids (FM) mode.

It's that latter point I can't quite work out how to do. It obviously connects the between somewhere around the drive/clipping stuff across to the output of the 2nd op-amp and probably involves R13 and C9, but I can't work out how that would fit to the Tubescreamer circuit as the Fulldrive one has the boost stuff mixed in at that point.

Anyone able to help?

Thanks,

Ian

ichilton

Anyone who can understand the DeadRinger schematic able to help?

jkokura

Yes. I took a look, and here's what I think:

1. The comp switch in the Green Bean is in essence the same as the mos/sil switch in the deadringer, just using different diodes. The switch in both circuits chooses between two diode options. You can use that switch in either on-on to have two choices, or as in the Deadringer as an on/off/on switch with the middle position being a diode lift option.

2. In order to use the deadringer clipping scheme, it'll take some finagling, but essentially D4 and D5 in the Green Bean = D1 and D2 in the Deadringer. D1 in the GB = Q4 in the DR, Q2 in the GB = D4 in the DR, and D3 = Q3.

3. Yes, Comp cut is the off position.

4. Instead of doing the Flat mids, just go with the Fat switch. The Deadringer setup is way too complicated to get to work correctly on the Green Bean. If you're going to do all that, you may as well just build the Deadringer.

In essence, what I'm saying is that it makes more sense to either build the Green Bean as is with the clipping options of the Deadringer and the comp cut mode, or build the deadringer cause it looks like that's what you want. You can substitute the values of many of the parts from the deadringer project over into the Green Bean, just print out each schematic and compare the parts and their values. Most of the time the adjustment is very small.

Jacob

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

ichilton

Thanks for taking the time to reply - sorry it took so long for me to get round to replying back!

QuoteYou can use that switch in either on-on to have two choices, or as in the Deadringer as an on/off/on switch with the middle position being a diode lift option.
Quote3. Yes, Comp cut is the off position.

The DeadRinger actually uses an on/on/on switch - the top position is actually diode lift / comp cut.

(the middle is FM and the bottom is Vintage).

The flat mids should be easy to work into the green bean I think, I just can't quite see what to add to where as it's complicated by the boost part in the DeadRinger. I think it's just something to do with  R13 and C9 though.

Thanks,

Ian

jkokura

Quote from: ichilton on May 03, 2013, 12:44:10 PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply - sorry it took so long for me to get round to replying back!

QuoteYou can use that switch in either on-on to have two choices, or as in the Deadringer as an on/off/on switch with the middle position being a diode lift option.
Quote3. Yes, Comp cut is the off position.

The DeadRinger actually uses an on/on/on switch - the top position is actually diode lift / comp cut.

(the middle is FM and the bottom is Vintage).

You are correct, but if you wanted to do the same with the Green Bean, you would want to use a SPDT On-Off-On switch, and the middle position would be the diode lift. Just want to be clear, this would be how it would be applied to the Green Bean project.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

ichilton

That's what I was thinking - an on/off/on with 2 clipping options and a lift in the middle.

It's the other switch I am having trouble with, to switch between standard (ala vintage on the DeadRinger) and a Fat Mids mode - I can't work out how to do Flat Mids...

Thanks,

Ian