News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

34. COLLOSALUS MXR 117 Flanger

Started by Liustucru, April 16, 2013, 11:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liustucru

Hello guys,
I loved my Current Lover but since I've heard about the Collosalus project and watched Brian's video, I wanted one too.
Lots of components but great layout from Brian as usual so it came out pretty easily.
Currently, it is biased for a 9V power supply and it sounds great !!! Very different from the Electric Mistress.
I do have some clock noise for fully counter clockwise settings of the manual control that still need to be biased better I think. But I also want to try biasing it with the 12V outlet from my Voodoo Lab PP2+.

I wanted a different finish for this one so I asked a friend of mine at work to use the milling machine. I used a huge milling-cutter with a high speed pass to get this look. And I asked him to let one part raw for me to stamp the control labels. I think it came out great and quite original (I believe). I just hope it brings the Collosalus the recognition it deserves.

The pots spacing isn't very large so I put the well-known black pointer knobs above the black letters. I really like the way it looks with those chrome/black enclosed jacks and DC jack !!!

Another great MADBEAN project that everyone needs to build, box and rock again and again !!!

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

pickdropper

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

midwayfair

That finish is unbelievable. Absolutely top-notch on the inside.

Please tell me this is your contest entry, because if it isn't I'm VERY scared of what else you have hiding in the wings this month.  ;)

Liustucru

Quote from: midwayfair on April 16, 2013, 12:32:42 PM
That finish is unbelievable. Absolutely top-notch on the inside.

Please tell me this is your contest entry, because if it isn't I'm VERY scared of what else you have hiding in the wings this month.  ;)

Thank you !!!
Now I just have to find a way to record myself and upload an audio or video file of this flanger monster !!!

Haberdasher

that looks fantastic!  The 117 is a really nice sounding circuit too.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Liustucru

I've just seen that the April contest isn't opened yet.
Nevertheless, I'll try to record something tonight !

Quote from: Haberdasher on April 16, 2013, 12:42:18 PM
that looks fantastic!  The 117 is a really nice sounding circuit too.

Thank you Keefe !!!
I think you'll hear from me very soon about a Triple W**** board which is another monster effect I really want to build.

Cortexturizer

You always deliver some great stuff man. Fantastic build!
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

joshua_eiler

That is an incredible looking pedal!  The combo of machining and stamping makes it a masterpiece!  Nice job!

Liustucru

Quote from: pickdropper on April 16, 2013, 12:16:59 PM
That looks great!

Thank you !!!
I wish we have a laser engraver at work (but I just wish  :'( ) so I could try some better artworks.

Quote from: jimilee on April 16, 2013, 01:20:50 PM
Sexy!

Sexy Flanger thanks you !!!

Quote from: joshua_eiler on April 16, 2013, 01:29:10 PM
That is an incredible looking pedal!  The combo of machining and stamping makes it a masterpiece!  Nice job!

I like the idea of making stuff with what I have. We have some old machines at work and even if I work most of my time in front of a computer, I also spend a lot of time at the workshop drilling and finishing boxes !!! And because I don't smoke, I don't need cigarette breaks so my boss doesn't tell me anything !!!

jvg13

Really cool finish & nice build!

A hesitant suggestion, 'cos you may already know, but on off chance you don't, you don't have to join up both sets of lugs on switched sockets like those.  (If you wanted to save a bit of time).  When you plug in one side is raised (this is in contact with jack) & the other isolated (allowing the possibility of things like grounding a circuit input when you remove the jack, necessary for an amp).

snz728

Liustucru

I didn't think one second that so many people would enjoy my build so much.
So many great names of Madbean forum.
I'm really honored !!!

Quote from: jvg13 on April 17, 2013, 05:49:04 PM
Really cool finish & nice build!

A hesitant suggestion, 'cos you may already know, but on off chance you don't, you don't have to join up both sets of lugs on switched sockets like those.  (If you wanted to save a bit of time).  When you plug in one side is raised (this is in contact with jack) & the other isolated (allowing the possibility of things like grounding a circuit input when you remove the jack, necessary for an amp).

Thank you.
I know I don't have to join both legs on these jacks but I don't use the switch 'option'.
I wanted the wiring to be as clean as possible so I made the ground, input and output wires come from the same side.
But I agree, one side is enough !!!

Quote from: snz728 on April 17, 2013, 07:39:31 PM
Far out! Good Job!

Thank you too.