News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tiny 1.0 uF's

Started by billstein, April 15, 2013, 07:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billstein

Hi guys,

Ordered some 1.0 uf's from mouser and got these. Looks way to small. Are they usable?
Mouser 810-FK28X5R1E105K

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

midwayfair

Why wouldn't they be usable?

They're great for mini builds.

pickdropper

I just ordered some of those intentionally.  Totally useful and 5mm lead spacing .  Cool things in a pinch.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

billstein

Awesome. I'm use to seeing those big box caps and these looked way to small. :)
Will there be any degradation in sound?

billstein

Quote from: midwayfair on April 15, 2013, 07:36:57 PMWhy wouldn't they be usable?

They're great for mini builds.

Totally off the subject. Just saw your demo during hurricane Sandy. Great stuff, not going to let a super storm stop you. :)

pickdropper

Quote from: billstein on April 15, 2013, 07:43:09 PM

Well, if you got the ones I ordered, they are NP0 ceramics, which are rock solid (some ceramics are sensitive to temperature and voltage variations).  There is slightly more distortion inherent in multilayer ceramics as compared to film, but I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference in a pedal.
Function f(x)

billstein

Quote from: pickdropper on April 15, 2013, 07:46:29 PM

Well, if you got the ones I ordered, they are NP0 ceramics, which are rock solid (some ceramics are sensitive to temperature and voltage variations).  There is slightly more distortion inherent in multilayer ceramics as compared to film, but I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference in a pedal.

With my ears ruined from years of standing in front of amps and going to concerts, I'm sure it would take a drastic change in sound for me to hear it anyway.

pickdropper

Quote from: billstein on April 15, 2013, 07:51:24 PM

With my ears ruined from years of standing in front of amps and going to concerts, I'm sure it would take a drastic change in sound for me to hear it anyway.

I suspect even trained Golden Ears would have a difficult time telling the difference.
Function f(x)

juansolo

They pop up in a lot of our builds. Very useful little things.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

aballen

very useful, and a necessity on the 1590A builds.

Peteyboy

Well, if you got the ones I ordered, they are NP0 ceramics

I usually get NP0's, but i can't seem to find any that are 1uF (usually its hard/expensive to find anything over ~100nF)
Where do you source yours ??

pickdropper

Quote from: Peteyboy on April 17, 2013, 02:14:23 PM

Well, if you got the ones I ordered, they are NP0 ceramics

I usually get NP0's, but i can't seem to find any that are 1uF (usually its hard/expensive to find anything over ~100nF)
Where do you source yours ??

Peter, you are correct, the ones I got were X7R.  I ordered a bunch of caps and the smaller ones were NP0.  For 1uF caps, it is indeed difficult to source NP0 caps.  Sorry about the confusion.
Function f(x)

billstein

H.E.L.Shane

I used them in c3 c9 and C14 in my Chunk Chunk build...

Switched them out for Kemet MMK's and I did notice a reduction in noise.

jubal81

I like to keep them around for PCBs set up for electrolytic 1uF caps. X7R isn't as nice as film, but they're a great sub for 'lytics.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair