News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Soldering tip

Started by billstein, April 14, 2013, 07:33:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billstein

I use the Hakko chisel tip. Was wondering what everybody else used. Is the pencil tip better etc.

nzCdog

I've tried lots and a chisel tip is my favourite shape.  Size of the chisel depends on the size of the work... Normally for Hakko 900M-T-2C or T-3C.  For the really big work I use a 900M-T-3.2D

alanp

Cheap bastard here, sticking with my Duck Smut 40W pencil for now  ;D
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

stevie1556

I use the small round tip. Can't remember what's it's called, but it's like a little pen tip. Might go back to the chisel type tip soon though just to try it out.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

aballen

I have a weller, I like the small chisel tips as well for my through hole pedal stuff

midwayfair

I use a thin, pointy pencil.

On small builds and close layouts, it's good for getting in there without damaging other things. I can also fit it inside a pad next to a component lead and be sure of really, really good contact with both the board and the component when heating. And for bigger parts like the jacks, I just lay it sideways to get more contact.

It was easier using a small round tip or a very small chisel. I just think I get better soldering results overall now. Could be just a matter of extra practice, though. Who knows.

pickdropper

I change the tip to what I feel is appropriate for the job.  There are 5 different tips that I use, but three of them more regularly.  One is a very small and thin .2mm point that I prefer for tiny work.  It works VERY accurately, but doesn't do as good of a job when you hit a ground plane as it has much less in the way of thermal mass.

The other one comes in 2 variants: one is a .25mm point (with more mass than the first one) and the second has the same basic geometry, but is a chisel instead.  For through-hole soldering, the chisel is probably the easiest to use as it is still relatively pointy but the chisel helps transfer heat faster, reducing dwell time.

So for most stuff in the DIY pedal world, that would probably be my choice: a thin chisel.

As I've recently found out, it does somewhat depend on the technology of the iron, but this should apply to most standard Weller types with a ceramic heating element.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

icecycle66

I use some needle-like cone tip from Radio shack.