News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Retrograde low / no volume can I get a second set of eyes?

Started by jimilee, April 12, 2013, 03:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

So I built up the rtro grade. no / low volume UNLESS I hold the toggle switch and touch the volume pot with my other hand or the out put wire. I have reflowed about 17 times. Replaced the volume pot,the electros, everythign is oriented corretly,no solder bridges.I did an audio trace,and audio is loud up to D3, that's where it's quiet. . These readings ate with the battery reading at about 7.5 Volts Help,what's next?
Q-1 2n5087
E-3.5
b-2.4
c-2.4
Q-2 2n4401
e1.9
b-0
c-7.6

q-3  2n4401
e-1.3
b-1.9
c-4.1

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

DutchMF

Don't want to state the obvious, but did you check your resistor values? Had a little problem in that area myself lately..... Also, try it with a fresh battery/power supply, and check your ground connection (for the whole hand/volume pot thing)

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

jimilee

Quote from: DutchMF on April 12, 2013, 08:16:08 PM
Don't want to state the obvious, but did you check your resistor values? Had a little problem in that area myself lately..... Also, try it with a fresh battery/power supply, and check your ground connection (for the whole hand/volume pot thing)

Paul
I did, resistors and caps and trannies.

jimilee

jimilee

nzCdog

Well you have a problem.  Firstly a 7.5 Volt battery will have high internal resistance and cause you problems. Get a fresh 9V battery.

The collector of Q1 should also be the same bias at the base of Q2, but Q2 is 0V.  This indicates a bad connection or short to ground somewhere between them, or a faulty transistor.  

jimilee

Quote from: nzCdog on April 14, 2013, 02:16:01 AM
Well you have a problem.  Firstly a 7.5 Volt battery will have high internal resistance and cause you problems. Get a fresh 9V battery.

The collector of Q1 should also be the same bias at the base of Q2, but Q2 is 0V.  This indicates a bad connection or short to ground somewhere between them, or a faulty transistor.  
Oh thank you thank you thank you. I will go there next. I have reflowed again tonight and replaced a 10n Cap with a 100n cap.

John S

I'm having the same problem. Very low volume and little fuzz. What is the fix?
Schenkenstein custom effects. Check out the page on Facebook.

jimilee

Quote from: John S on October 06, 2013, 10:05:17 PM
I'm having the same problem. Very low volume and little fuzz. What is the fix?
i sold it to someone else to t.s.

jimilee

However, the guy that bought it reflowed all the joints again and replaced the diodes. i think the diodes were the biggest problem. Got them from Tayda and I think they were shoddy.