News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

32. Rockbox Boiling Point VERO [NON-MADBEAN]

Started by Liustucru, April 08, 2013, 11:42:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liustucru

Hello,
I wanted another overdrive. I got rid of my TS-9 some years ago.
It was one of the first pedal I bought and it was the perfect playground for experimenting, tweaking, modding, stacking. The result was great but I bought an OCD (replaced by THE EGODRIVER now of course) and I didn't play with my TS-9 anymore.

So I sold it and now I miss it.
I have a GreenBean board waiting to be populated but I wanted something else.
I found videos of the Rockbox Boiling Point gorgeous and since I've known it's a TS clone, I decided to build it on vero using the layout from TagboardEffects (http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.fr/2012/09/rockbox-boiling-point.html).

FYI, the Boiling Point is $389. Is a great paint job worth that much ???

Sounds great the first time I plugged it but with a lot of hum with a One-Spot power supply (normal, isn't it?) and almost no hum with my Voodoo Lab PP2+. I still have to tweak the power filtering section a bit more for it to be perfect !!!

The 3 clipping options are very useful and sounds really different.
The second toggle switch is a bass contour whether you use single coil pickups or humbuckers.

It a high gain version of the TS with no bass loss at all, no mid hump and more dynamics.

I chose a sober finish with green painting, green LED (a TS-like has to be green, no?), white knobs from Tayda and initials stamping.
I liked those knobs so I ordered some more on my last order but they shipped me cream ones  >:( !!!!
I didn't name it because the answer of that question is obvious "What is green and has 3 knobs for volume, tone and drive controls ?"

No more comments, here are the pictures:

Bret608

Looks really cool!  :)  I like the color combination a lot.

How do you like it compared to the Egodriver? I'm finally about to populate an Egodriver board, and am wondering if it's still worth it to do something TS-like down the road.

Liustucru

Quote from: Bret608 on April 08, 2013, 02:24:45 PM
Looks really cool!  :)  I like the color combination a lot.

How do you like it compared to the Egodriver? I'm finally about to populate an Egodriver board, and am wondering if it's still worth it to do something TS-like down the road.

Hey Bret,
to be clear, I didn't build this one to replace my EGODRIVER.
My EGODRIVER (which you can see on this topic http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=6199.0) is and will remain my main overdrive. Combined with the Fatpants and taking advantage of its 18V outlet, it sounds KILLER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I wanted a different sound color and I missed my old TS9.

I TOTALLY RECOMMEND YOU TO BUILD THE EGODRIVER !!!

BUT, the Boiling Point sounds killer too but pretty different.

CONCLUSION: BUILD BOTH !!!

Bret608

It's funny how often we reach the conclusion "build both" around here!  :)  You are right, I will still have to do something TS-based at some point. Too many ODs, too little time!

Liustucru

Quote from: Bret608 on April 08, 2013, 05:25:36 PM
It's funny how often we reach the conclusion "build both" around here!  :)  You are right, I will still have to do something TS-based at some point. Too many ODs, too little time!

I totally agree and it can be generalized as "BUILD THEM ALL" because there are more than 2 ODs !!!

neiloler

So I'm looking at the following link:

http://revolutiondeux.blogspot.com/2012/01/rockbox-boiling-point.html

and the Greenbean doc (http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/GreenBean/docs/GreenBean.pdf)

I'm finding that you could easily use the MadBean PCB to get this circuit about 85% of the way there with simple component value changes, and then the rest of the way some some flying leads for the diodes, etc.

Has anyone tried this? I remember trying a Boiling Point last summer and being really impressed with it, and it felt like a sup'd up TS without all the lame aspects sometimes people don't dig, so this all makes sense in my brain sonically. Was there a reason you went with vero board instead of the PCB from madbean (I'm debating which to do myself, which is why I ask)?
OLERAudio - Sole proprietor, engineer, and goofball

jkokura

JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Liustucru

Quote from: jkokura on April 23, 2013, 10:19:28 PM
You could also try the Steaming Kettle, which is a Boiling Point clone PCB...

http://www.jmkpcbs.com

http://www.jmkpcbs.com/JMK_PCBs/Store_files/Steaming%20Kettle.pdf

Jacob

Hello Jacob,
I wanted to get a Steaming Kettle board from you but it was not in stock at the moment.

Neiloler, I totally recommend Jacob's boards. I longing for the Hamlet+ with tap tempo !!!

tagwap

Is it just my eyes or are there no diodes on your vero layout?

micromegas

I think the diodes are soldered directly to the clipping toggle switch.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

Liustucru

Quote from: micromegas on April 24, 2013, 10:36:38 AM
I think the diodes are soldered directly to the clipping toggle switch.

You think right !!! They are soldered in the 3 position clipping switch with 4 asymmetrical 1N4148 one one side and 2 symmetrical 3mm red leds on the other side.
Just have a look on tagboardeffects' layout: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.fr/2012/09/rockbox-boiling-point.html

jkokura

Quote from: Liustucru on April 24, 2013, 07:11:08 AM
Hello Jacob,
I wanted to get a Steaming Kettle board from you but it was not in stock at the moment.

Neiloler, I totally recommend Jacob's boards. I longing for the Hamlet+ with tap tempo !!!

No problem man, I like your build still! Hamlet is coming, it's not long now. The boards are somewhere between Hong Kong and Canada still. Once in my hands, the Hamlet is one of the first to get worked on.

jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

davent

Very nicely done, green always looks good on an enclosure! Where did you find those nice blue strip sockets you're using for the transistors?

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Liustucru

Quote from: davent on April 24, 2013, 07:16:51 PM
Very nicely done, green always looks good on an enclosure! Where did you find those nice blue strip sockets you're using for the transistors?

dave

Thank you.
I agree that green looks always good especially for a Tube Screamer !!!
The sockets comes from an old stock I have at work.

Liustucru

Quote from: jkokura on April 24, 2013, 06:43:48 PM
Quote from: Liustucru on April 24, 2013, 07:11:08 AM
Hello Jacob,

No problem man, I like your build still! Hamlet is coming, it's not long now. The boards are somewhere between Hong Kong and Canada still. Once in my hands, the Hamlet is one of the first to get worked on.

jacob

Hello, count me in as soon as the board is available !!!