News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Need direction on Sansamp type pedal

Started by Jabulani Jonny, April 07, 2013, 02:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jabulani Jonny

Hey guys, not sure if that's even what I'm looking for. However, I play a few times a month at a place where I can't run an amp, just direct to the mixer. I'd really be interested in building an amp in a pedal sort of thing that I could run to the mixer. I have no idea what I'm looking for. The pedal will not be used to drive an external cabinet, but will run direct. I may even toy around with throwing a verb board in there too. The amp type I would be looking for would be a Fender sound.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jonathan

whitebread47

You may have already seen this, but this is the closest thing I know of to something designed with that use in mind.

http://tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=112
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

Jabulani Jonny

Thanks Whitebread. I wasn't sure where to find it. RunOffGroove's Azabache also looks very interesting, but looks like they still plan on it being followed by an amp.
Jonathan

oldhousescott

If you want to keep it on the cheap, check out the Joyo knock-offs of the Tech21 stuff. They have an AC-Tone pedal for the Vox-like tones, and an American pedal for the Fender-ish stuff. About $40-50 each.

whitebread47

Quote from: oldhousescott on April 07, 2013, 02:46:18 AM
If you want to keep it on the cheap, check out the Joyo knock-offs of the Tech21 stuff. They have an AC-Tone pedal for the Vox-like tones, and an American pedal for the Fender-ish stuff. About $40-50 each.

Whoa.  Hadn't seen these, but that's an insane price for 'em. 
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

Jabulani Jonny

Dude, I have to say I'm really impressed by what I'm seeing on that Joyo American Sound pedal.  That's exactly what I was looking for.  I would like to build one that suits my needs, but the closest project I can find is the ROG Azabache, but it doesn't have much in the way of tone shaping.  I'll probably spring for this Joyo.  Looks like it'll fit the bill nicely. 

Thanks!!
Jonathan

billstein

Behringer is making a clone of the Sansamp GT-2 that is cheap and is getting great reviews. I'm thinking of getting one to play straight through the board.

billstein

Here it is. Looks like a lot of pedal for 40 bucks.
www.zzounds.com/item--BEHGDI21

jkokura

Except that it has a plastic housing with inferior parts...

Getting a used Sansamp is a better choice for a gigging musician.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Jabulani Jonny

The guts of the Joyo look to use nearly the same components as what I'm ordering from Small Bear or Mammoth. 
Jonathan

whitebread47

I wouldn't do the Behringer, personally.  They use some terribly feeble plastic on the pedals I've played.  Sad too, as I actually really dug their Ultimate Vibrato (probably a VB-2 clone).

That Joyo, on the other hand, is probably cheaper than or about right on par what it would cost to build.
Blake

jimilee

Quote from: whitebread47 on April 10, 2013, 03:13:00 AM
I wouldn't do the Behringer, personally.  They use some terribly feeble plastic on the pedals I've played.  Sad too, as I actually really dug their Ultimate Vibrato (probably a VB-2 clone).

That Joyo, on the other hand, is probably cheaper than or about right on par what it would cost to build.
rehouse the behringer....badum tis! *rimshot*
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

billstein

Quote from: jkokura on April 10, 2013, 02:33:48 AM
Except that it has a plastic housing with inferior parts...

Getting a used Sansamp is a better choice for a gigging musician.

Jacob

That's a good point. Probably need to consider carefully how it will be used. I'm thinking about getting one to play in church a couple times a month, therefore it won't take much of a beating. I've never liked Behringer products but after reading the user reviews on this one I might give it a try.

whitebread47

Quote from: jimilee on April 10, 2013, 03:20:15 AM
rehouse the behringer....badum tis! *rimshot*

I actually considered rehousing the ultimate vibrato I had, but once I cracked that sucker open it proved to be a guaranteed pain in the rear.  I was but a month into DIY'ing stuffs at the time, so I left well enough alone!  ;D

Still, for the $25 or so I paid for it, I've not found a pitch vibrato pedal I liked better.*

*Apologies for the slight derail, guys.  I do find comfort in the fact that the Joyo's are housed better than Behringer's pedal lines (and mucho easier to rehouse thanks to the works of one Freekish Blues).  :-\

Blake

Thomas_H

I once built the sansamp gt 2 clone frome tonepad.
Be aware that this represents what could be done a few years ago. If does produce good sounds to use if you play it into a PA but buying one of the cheap JoYo clones of the more recent pedals from tech 21 should be the better choice.
DIY-PCBs and projects: