News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cosmo Demo

Started by slimtriggers, April 07, 2013, 01:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slimtriggers

Finally got around to doing a demo of this.  It's kinda boring, but I tweak the controls and play a few chords.  Gives an idea of the range of tones in it, anyway.  I really, really dig this pedal!

Audio/video don't line up exactly.  I recorded the audio in Reaper and shot the video on the iPod, then put them together in iMovie on the iPod.  Worked OK, though.

jimilee

Wow,that has a nice fat sound. Very cool.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

slimtriggers

Thanks for checkin' it out, Jimi  :) 

jprizz

I'll second Jimi on that, sounds really good. Can't wait to get mine done.

wolfingsworth

Thanks for the demo! Chords aren't boring to pedal geeks  :)

slimtriggers

Quote from: wolfingsworth on April 07, 2013, 06:21:40 AM

That was kinda my thinking, too  :D  I just did what I wish more Youtube demos did: tune my guitar first, and no talking.

jimilee

Quote from: slimtriggers on April 07, 2013, 11:46:07 PM
Quote from: wolfingsworth on April 07, 2013, 06:21:40 AM

That was kinda my thinking, too  :D  I just did what I wish more Youtube demos did: tune my guitar first, and no talking.
My last guitar demo I was thinking the same thing. Should've tuned my guitar first! The bass was spot on though.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

whitebread47

Sounds great.  The audio quality is much better than most You Tube demos, which I greatly appreciate. 

*Props to Reaper too for creating a fully functional DAW for less than executive prices!*
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

Bret608

This does have really nice sound quality. And...it reassures me that my Cosmo actually sounds like it's supposed to!  ;)  I was playing through it yesterday and am still floored by the sound quality. I love it with the brilliance cranked and the shape all the way back like you did near the end.

Cortexturizer

Fabulous sound!
I gotta make me one of these ASAP
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

fendman

Yeh, agree entirely. It has to be built, Nice demo ;)

DutchMF

Man, that sound so freakin' close to mine, did you use the transistors as per the docs? Good demonstration of the ridiculous amount of different tones in this pedal! My favourite: amp (Marshall) set for some medium grind, then slam it hard with the cosmo with Fuzz quite low, gain about 1 o'clock, volume almost maxxed, adjust Brill and Shape to taste, nasty!!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Bret608

Ah, I bet that would sound sweet! Hadn't thought of trying it into a dirty-ish amp.

Mine sounds so close to this as well, but I used a BC108 (hfe 680) and a 2n1304 (hfe @ 50 IIRC). I think the circuit is particularly forgiving as long as you're in the ballpark on the trannies.

slimtriggers

Quote from: DutchMF on April 08, 2013, 03:44:49 PM
Man, that sound so freakin' close to mine, did you use the transistors as per the docs? Good demonstration of the ridiculous amount of different tones in this pedal! My favourite: amp (Marshall) set for some medium grind, then slam it hard with the cosmo with Fuzz quite low, gain about 1 o'clock, volume almost maxxed, adjust Brill and Shape to taste, nasty!!

Paul

I bought these for Q3 http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=921.  I think they may be 2n170.  They look like THIS.  The first one I grabbed out of the bag sounded good, so I didn't bother trying any of the others.  The gain is 67.  I don't recall the leakage, but it was pretty low, IIRC.

Had an NOS BC109 in Q2, but somehow killed it.  I just replaced it with a BC109b from Tayda.  Everything is built to per the docs, no mods or anything.  Most versatile fuzz I've ever tried!

slimtriggers

Did another quick "demo" in a mix.  I'm really really digging this pedal!!

[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/slimtriggers/blackcrowes[/soundcloud]