News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Questions about modding the Mangler

Started by mshuptar, April 06, 2013, 07:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mshuptar

I'm sort of new to this and I had a couple questions about the Mangler. I built one over the summer and I want to tinker with it.

1) Can I make the internal trim pot an external control? I know the value, but what type of pot (A/B/C) do I use?

2) Is there some sort of way where I can control the voltage to simulate the sound of a dying battery within the Mangler?

I saw a few demos of certain pedals (Heavy Electronics Radio Havana pedal to be exact) and wondered if I could do the same. Any input is much appreciated. Thanks!

midwayfair

Quote from: mshuptar on April 06, 2013, 07:37:53 PM
I'm sort of new to this and I had a couple questions about the Mangler. I built one over the summer and I want to tinker with it.

1) Can I make the internal trim pot an external control? I know the value, but what type of pot (A/B/C) do I use?

2) Is there some sort of way where I can control the voltage to simulate the sound of a dying battery within the Mangler?

I saw a few demos of certain pedals (Heavy Electronics Radio Havana pedal to be exact) and wondered if I could do the same. Any input is much appreciated. Thanks!

1) Yes. Just use a linear taper.

2) Put a 10K pot as a variable resistor in series with the power supply. You might need to strap a resistor across it to limit the sag -- there's nothing really useful all the way down at, say, 3v.

DutchMF

Hey Jon,

I'm interrested in this sag thing as well. I'm building a Roadrage powered Pastyface at the moment, and want to add an external sag control. The RR docs are plenty clear on how to wire up everything, but don't mention the limiting resistor you're talking about. I can't seem to figure out across which lugs of the pot I should put it, and what might be a typical value? Thanx in advance man! (And sorry for the thread-hijack, mshuptar!)

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

mshuptar

Thanks for the help - much appreciated!

midwayfair

Quote from: DutchMF on April 07, 2013, 08:10:59 AM
Hey Jon,

I'm interrested in this sag thing as well. I'm building a Roadrage powered Pastyface at the moment, and want to add an external sag control. The RR docs are plenty clear on how to wire up everything, but don't mention the limiting resistor you're talking about. I can't seem to figure out across which lugs of the pot I should put it, and what might be a typical value? Thanx in advance man! (And sorry for the thread-hijack, mshuptar!)

Paul

A limiting resistor is just if you don't want the pot to go to 0. I'd go with something like 3.3K. We're talking about a variable resistor here -- hook up the pot so that only two lugs are used and put the resistor in series with it.