News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Max delay on an AquaBoy?

Started by aballen, April 03, 2013, 03:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aballen

I just started my Aquaboy build and I'm wondering, what is the max delay I can get with two MN3005s?

I plan on running it at 18V, with two 3005s.  I found a site claiming they can get near two seconds out of two 3005s?
http://pittsburghmodular.com/analog-delay/

I thought the Aquapuss was more like 600ms max?  Is that just because it sounds terrible when set higher?The pittsburg modular linked says they have theirs set to 9/10s of a second when shipped, but can be calibrated to near 2s.

Just wondering.

jkokura

I would say that the fidelity past 600ms would be terrible. Better to just build it as expected.

Another thing you can do, though i'm not sure you have the chips for it, would be to use double delay boards. This would enable you to build a 4x3005 aquaboy, giving you 1200ms of delay time at max settings (1.2s).

Also, the MN3005 isn't rated for 18v. You should be running those chips at 15V...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

aballen

Thaks Jacob, thas what I thought.

Oh yes, that was a typo, I meant 15V, but thanks for pointing it out.

I've considered a quad MN3005 aquaboy, but thats like $100 in MN3005s, and its all the 3005s I'e ever owned, I was hoping to get two pedals out of my limited supply.... If I really, seriously love the aquaboy, maybe it will give my last two 3005s on top of the first two... but I'm going to have to wait and see.

Between the double delay boards, a road rage, and the aquapuss board itself I'll need a small lunchbox to house it :D

jkokura

I honestly think 600ms is enough delay time with an analog delay. I might see why someone would use up to 800ms with a digital delay, but I never get up over 500 ms according to my timeline's readout when I tap in the tempo. At max settings, I think my DMM clone with MN3005s give me about 550ms, and that's more than I ever need.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Scruffie

You could increase the filtering to get more delay time without noise but you'll loose the tone of what makes it an AquaBoy and it'll get dark and muddy... although I suppose it could be modded to have some kind of filtering control though for longer delay times vs. shorter but at that point, gotta question if it's worth it.

300mS is pretty much the upper limit of what one chip can provide and that's pushing it, should really be getting 200-250 per 4096 chip for good fidelity (thankfully in analog delay we don't care quite so much about that).

Why not compromise with your 4 chips, get a fake MN3005 pair off smallbear, do an Aquaboy with 3 x MN3005 & 1 x 3008 for let's call it 1s and then something else with a MN3005 & MN3008 for 450mS
Works at Lectric-FX

aballen

certainly an option, but I think for now I'm going to hold on to two for my dirtbag build, really hoping it still has board mounted pots.

I'm thinking that will be two analog delays with ~ 550 ms each, and if I want to get crazy I'll do something like you suggested, and put a pair of 3008s in each one... that should get me to ~ 750 ms each?

I think I'm gonna be pretty burnt out on delays by then... echo base, cave dweller, multiplex, SP SDX, and now two analog ones, I may have to build a whole another tier on top of my gorm board dedicated to delays.

truly this is a sickness  :-\

BrownMagicMurad

The datasheet on MN3101 states that it is capable of driving 2x MN3005's. I'm afraid that I don't think you can use double delay boards on an Aquaboy DX to get 4x MN3005's.

However, the datasheet (linked below) states the following: "BBD Direct driving capability of up to two MN3005s (equivalent to 8192 stages)."

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/14238/PANASONIC/MN3101.html

What one might be able to experiment with is driving 4x MN3008's to get the same delay time as 2xMN3005's. That opens up the possibility of having the improved fidelity and headroom of MN300X BBD's versus MN320X, without having to gamble on buying MN3005's on ebay.

Also, I wonder what the tonal differences would be between 1x MN3005 vs 2x MN3008? I definitely plan on testing that out with MN3205's and MN3208's, (can't find any MN3005's).

aballen

I'm working on a pcb for pairing up two 3008s to act like one 3005.  I'll let you guys know how it goes.  If it works out I can make a batch and share.

BrownMagicMurad

Quote from: aballen on April 16, 2013, 02:21:47 PM
I'm working on a pcb for pairing up two 3008s to act like one 3005.  I'll let you guys know how it goes.  If it works out I can make a batch and share.

Is it going to be different in design than what is included in this project file of the aquaboy?

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5521.0;attach=4149

aballen

Very similar actually, but I moved a resistor based on Brians recommendation and it think my board will end out being a bit smaller.  Also, I figure having to etch your own might be a deterrent for some, so why not share.

I'm working on it here.
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=9341.0