News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How to cure weener scratch?

Started by octa805, April 03, 2013, 05:28:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

octa805

Love my weener (that was fun to write) but its still got a bit of scratchy noise towards the treble end. How do I get rid of this?

Some say bumping up R2 from 220ohms would work. Others say R4? Or could it be a bad pot? If so, how could I tell?

I just built another one to similar specs and it is totally quiet. Biggest difference are R4 and the trannies.

Any ideas would be great. Thanks

octa805

jtn191

So there's a static noise on the treble end? 1st try low gain, low noise transistors.  Like 2n222a

I had the same problem with my cry baby-based build and saw a rumor on diystomp that noise is reduced if the hfe of both transistors is closely matched. I tried it and it seems to help!

jimilee

I had that issue with a vox wah just today. The cure for this one was tightening the pot. when I got to the treble end,the pot was twisting and touching the bottom of the wah plate which is metal.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

octa805

thanks dudes

I've swapped Q1 out a few times and only noticed volume differences more than anything with the static noise persisting throughout.

I'll try some others I just got in along with ratcheting around the trimpots I have in R4 & R5 (I believe that's where they are off the top of my head)

THanks

danwelsh

How to cure weener scratch lol.....thats just haha funny. All jokes aside glad u figured it out

icecycle66

frankie5fingers

I saw one on weB MD asking how to cure Weener itch.
Funny thing is the replies were pretty much the same....

octa805

Still working on this one

I need to swap out R4, socket it and see if that does it

I've tried a lot if tranny swaps and so far no real change in static. Just volume mostly

Stomptown

Quote from: octa805 on April 04, 2013, 03:25:08 PM
annoying bump

Weener scratch AND an annoying bump? Dude, it's time to go to the doctor!   ;D

octa805

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to follow-up here cause I finally fixed this.

I thought I'd have to play with R2 or R4 so I swapped those around a ton. Did nothing.

Then I finally just sprayed some de-oxit spray in the sweep pot, worked it around a few times and then amazingly it was 100% clear. NOT ONE BIT OF STATIC.

I don't know what boogers were in there but it was pretty sweet to finally clear that up with such a simple thing.

Now my wah is perfect. yea!

TNblueshawk

Looks like I'll put this one in my "should have been obvious" folder that I've built up for myself over the years  :-[
John

aballen

Thsi should take care of your weener itch, um I mean scratch.

http://www.antimonkeybutt.com