News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Caps for the weener wah

Started by aballen, April 02, 2013, 02:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aballen

I got a weener wah as a runner up prize in last month contest.  This is great because I need to build a wah... my last attempt was a failed mod wah build.

I want to get an opinion on caps for the weener wah.

It looks like you have the option for radial caps, but is this really just for mojo?  Not sure where to source these, but the link to the 4uf one was like $4.00 for one cap... thats a bit scary, since I need 9 different caps... I guess I could spend $40 on caps, but it really better sound better.

If not radial what should I use?  Film, polystyrene ... any suggestions?

I also have red fasel and a sabbadius soul inductor that I can salvage from a failed mod wah build.   Will the soul fit?  It is 500mh, is that a good value with the stock values on the build doc?  I'm not sure where to source a whipple?

If anyone has a reliable source where I can get a set of radial/mojo caps please let me know, I just don't want to spend $30 on shipping from a half dozen ebay sellers on $3.00 caps if I can find a more efficient way to do this.

madbean

Quote from: aballen on April 02, 2013, 02:53:25 PM
I got a weener wah as a runner up prize in last month contest.  This is great because I need to build a wah... my last attempt was a failed mod wah build.

I want to get an opinion on caps for the weener wah.

It looks like you have the option for radial caps, but is this really just for mojo?  Not sure where to source these, but the link to the 4uf one was like $4.00 for one cap... thats a bit scary, since I need 9 different caps... I guess I could spend $40 on caps, but it really better sound better.

If not radial what should I use?  Film, polystyrene ... any suggestions?

I also have red fasel and a sabbadius soul inductor that I can salvage from a failed mod wah build.   Will the soul fit?  It is 500mh, is that a good value with the stock values on the build doc?  I'm not sure where to source a whipple?

If anyone has a reliable source where I can get a set of radial/mojo caps please let me know, I just don't want to spend $30 on shipping from a half dozen ebay sellers on $3.00 caps if I can find a more efficient way to do this.

The option is for axial caps (radials are the ones we normally use, like film/box/etc) and are purely for the mojo factor. I tend to stay away from proclamations about which one or what type is better. But, since there was enough space on the board I included options for both types. I've used axials/Orange Drops on my builds because I happen to have the correct values.

If you want to spend the money and want the mojo factor, use axial caps and carbon comp resistors. But, that is a pretty expensive build. Otherwise, carbon/metal resistors and  caps will be just fine, and are what you find in most commercial pedals anyway, like the Dunlop/Vox ones.

I don't really have a suggestion for axials caps, since most of mine were bought from an old electronics store back in Austin...all NOS stuff. But, you can use the spacings listed as a guide for finding the right size. Maybe someone else has a good suggestion.

A 500mh inductor is just fine. Easy way to test if it will fit is measure the pin spacing on it and compare with those on the Weener. The Weener has several pin spacing to accommodate as many inductors as possible. The Whipple can be found on ebay, last I checked. The guy who makes them sells them there.

aballen

Thanks Brian.  I just got my wah shell and ICAR in the mail, I think I'll powder coat this red, since I have a powder coater now.

I already put in all the resistors, so maybe mojo caps are not worthwhile at this point.who knows I might have the right film caps on had and be able to finish this baby this week.

PimpMyTone

I have a couple of old intercap 4uf non polarized if you need one.
I dont know if they fit on the weener pcb , something like 2 cm .
Simon

aballen

I really appreciate that, but I dont think I'm going the mojo route... I did locate some radials, and that 4uf one is pricey, but I dont want to take your old mojo cap for this build, its all new stuff in there anyway.

thanks for the offer though.

jalmonsalmon

I found these that may work good for the weener wah for that 4µF mojo
I am thinking about grabbing one and using it for the new weener II
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=027-330

;D
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST . .

aballen

already got mine built.. still not cased though.

alanp

Normally electrolytic caps are crimped at one end.

It makes me nervous when they're crimped at both, there was a big thing awhile ago with fake caps (basically a weeny little 10uF 25v tired old POS from a TV or something, inside a bigger cap's wrapping claiming 100uF 400V.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jkokura

The reason it's crimped is because it's non polar. It's just not polarized like typical electrolytic caps. It's a .50 part, so I wouldn't worry about it being a fake - there's no upside at that rate.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jalmonsalmon

Yeah if my history of the wah wah is correct...   there is suppose to be a non polarized 4µF cap for a Clyde McCoy VOX wah wah, however you can safely use a 4.7µF cap as well or one of these http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-Sprague/TE13021-E3/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtZ1n0r9vR22beeiJoI0EpCZfexeJLBHfY%3d
but yeah for .50 a pop I am going to grab one and some other stuff from that site and give it a whirl

btw...
hehee if you're crazy try one of these  :P
You're s for only $26.03! http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay/109D455X9050C2/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsh%252b1woXyUXj7VpVtBIBRvmhPDvKzUzqq8%3d
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST . .