News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

LED array question

Started by slimtriggers, April 02, 2013, 02:36:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slimtriggers

I put 3 white LEDs in series.  The online CLR calculator I normally use is telling me this is not possible with these as the voltage drop is greater than the supply voltage (9 volt 1Spot).  Of course I did it anyway, and put a 120r resistor in line just in case.

The LEDs are working fine, but the pedal isn't working now.  Have I starved the circuit for voltage with my massive light show, or should I look elsewhere for trouble?  I rocked it before boxing and it worked great, now I'm only getting bypass signal ???

jimilee

Quote from: slimtriggers on April 02, 2013, 02:36:57 AM
I put 3 white LEDs in series.  The online CLR calculator I normally use is telling me this is not possible with these as the voltage drop is greater than the supply voltage (9 volt 1Spot).  Of course I did it anyway, and put a 120r resistor in line just in case.

The LEDs are working fine, but the pedal isn't working now.  Have I starved the circuit for voltage with my massive light show, or should I look elsewhere for trouble?  I rocked it before boxing and it worked great, now I'm only getting bypass signal ???
Did you disconnect the LED's to see if that fixed the issue? Also I've found in these situations that I would sometimes ground the leds out on the enclosure which would make the effect stop working also.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

slimtriggers

I think I'm gonna have to break down and try that.  A quick probing with the DMM and there's apparently no voltage going to the circuit.  I think I'll hit it tomorrow, though.

Thanks for the suggestions, Jimi  8)

slimtriggers

Ha!  A lifted trace-the 9v pad had come up.  When I started probing around I had 9v up to there but nothing anywhere else.

Soldering iron is heating up now.  If it works I'll have a build report up today :)

slimtriggers

The LEDs ending up being OK.  It doesn't effect the circuit at all. 

I had a lifted trace and my NOS BC109 took a dump.  Replaced it with a BC109 from Tayda and it fired right up 8)