News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

need help with Krunkee troubleshooting

Started by Mr. G., March 29, 2013, 08:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. G.

I started a Krunkee build about 2 years ago, and got done except for putting it in a box.  It was never tested at that time, though.  Life got in the way, is why I never finished it, or any other pedals for that matter.  

Anyway, fast forward 2 years, and I finally decided to box it up.  I reused a box that already had a switch, jacks, led, and power already in it, so all I had to do was spliced the ins and outs together.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work.  I can get a little sound out of it with the volume and gain all the way up, but it's only a faint farty octave like sound.  I can't see the clipping LEDs lighting up either.  

I've gone over the pads and traces to make sure there were no solder bridges.  Beyond that, I really don't know what to do.  I know the IC works, because I tried it in another pedal.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Haberdasher

do you know if the circuit was working (like on a test rig) before you boxed it?

maybe check to make sure pots aren't grounding out on the bottom of the pcb or on the enclosure.  double check the wiring and make sure you're getting power to the pcb.  on my old krunkee the led's light up pretty good, btw.

are you re-using the stomp switch too?  sometimes when too much soldering, de-soldering & re-soldering is done on those things they go afoul.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Mr. G.

Not sure if it was working before boxing it, or not.  No new soldering was done on the switch or jacks.  I just clipped the wires from the circuit that was already in the box, and soldered the wires together to make the connections. 

I also made sure that the board wasn't being grounded out on anything. 

Mr. G.

I think I might have figured out the problem.  I somehow managed to use a 22k and a 1k resistor for the voltage divider instead of two 22k resistors.   ::)

This would explain why I was reading 9.5V on pin 8, and 0.4V on pin 5 of the IC.

Hopefully correcting that will get everything sorted out.