Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Nautilus problems, no envelope.

Started by nieradka, March 29, 2013, 06:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nieradka

I am having the exact, exact, same problem as in this thread:

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=8484.0

The nautilus sounds like a crappy distortion pedal, and no envelope filter type sound.
Switching low pass/ bandpass / high pass, effects the tone, bandpass is loudest.

Sweep/Peak/Hi Lo dont seem to effect the sound.
Gain functions, and turning the volume trimpot affects the output volume as expected.

The LED is off with one setting of the range, and comes on, with how hard it is played. Adjusting the gain effects the level it comes on. The other setting of the range does the reverse, the LED is on, and dims depending on how loud one plays.

I used the Macron MI1210CLF-R from small bear. They have an F written on them
I used TL074s, and ICL7660SPCA for the ICs.

Ive remelted and checked all part values twice. I checked for continuity from the top of the board part to the trace, on all connections. And checked that there was no continuity in obvious places there could be a solder bridge.

D2 cathode reads between 3.5v and 6.4v.

Any other troubleshooting advice off the top of your heads?

hammerheadmusicman

I had a similar problem with my nautilus last week, i know you say you have reflowed the solder. but, with mine, i had to melt the solder, so that it flowed through to the other side, take all the IC's out etc.. as soons as i did that it came to life, either that or you could top solder all the things you can get to as well. there are connections on both sides of the board..

good luck

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

nieradka

Thanks, I did the single sided etched version though.

hammerheadmusicman

In that case, check all component values, polarities, check for bridges all that good stuff!! 

If that doesn't work, take some voltages and post them.
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

nieradka

IC1 (TL074)
1.   7.5
2.   -6
3.   0.49
4.   8.0
5.    0
6.    0
7.    0
8.   7.3
9.   -5.9
10   0
11   -7.3
12   0
13  -5.9
14    7.5

IC2 (TL074)
1    0
2    0
3    0
4    7.9
5    0
6    0
7    0
8    2.2
9    .47
10    .47
11  -7.3
12   ~0
13   ~0
14   .43

IC5 (7660spca)
1    8.1
2    4.0
3    0
4    -3.6
5    -7.4
6    3.4
7    6.1
8    8.1

All pots set to noon. On Bandpass mode. Theremin used as a sine wave generator as input. Theres about 2.2v going into the led of each vactrol and .45 coming out, which makes sense to me.

nieradka

Never mind, found the problem, replacing a wire to the peak pot fixed it, its working great now.

jimilee

Quote from: nieradka on March 30, 2013, 04:24:07 AM
Never mind, found the problem, replacing a wire to the peak pot fixed it, its working great now.
I totally rewired a whole pedal once,cause I had a bad wall wart  power supply.its the simplest things we make complex. I'm tryin to remember that...so all at once let's give a collective dammit!!!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.