News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

bought some boutique stuff....and sold it immediately

Started by small fish, March 22, 2013, 10:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

small fish

Hi,
been away quite a time and thought, it would be a good idea to read some good old stuff  ;D
Meanwhile, I built 2 tube amps (an 18w TMB, a 5W Madamp-high-gain-diy-project) and some EVH Frankencaster clone and had the urgent need of buying an overdrive pedal, which was boutiue stuff / hand-built by a guy who died a few month ago (Famous amp builder Tube Thomsen, Germany, RIP).
He built some pretty awesome tube amps, and this pedal had been "created" for Marcus Deml, a german guitar slinger (his signature pedal).
The pedal itself sounded pretty neat, nice blue box with cut-out script, pretty well built.
Well, all was gone when I opened it up, to have a look inside. Some standard pcb, small wires, nothing special with it - hand-soldered....ok....
I took a closer look at the pcb and wondered, why there was something erased on it (look at the pic). 2 days later I went shopping on a german diy-website and found the pcb (100% proof). Where the original one had the web adress written on it, mine had been worked on. The parts were exactly what was offered as a diy-kit (ok, 4 parts / values had been changed). It really sucked, because I paid 200 euros (approx. $250) for it - btw, the whole diy-kit sells for about 30 bucks. Just a TS clone, btw.
The rsp was about $440!!!!

I was quite shocked, buyin some parts for less than 40 Euros and gain about 1000%! Ok, boutweek, it´s the usual way...

I placed some ebay auction and sold it without any loss - bought it on friday and was sold on sunday  :o ! That´s why I´m happy to be back around here!

Here´s a pic!

So, if you were offered this pedal, tell me and I will sent you the bom.
After all, I will build this fx - but this time, myself.

Thx to all of you guys (and especially Brian) for all the stuff I learned, being around here  ;)
Guitars are made of trees! Paper is made of trees!
Recycle your paper, so there are more trees left - to make guitars!

GermanCdn

Yup, that's a musikding board.  Good job on unloading the pedal.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

hammerheadmusicman

yeah musikding! So is it a fake, or was a renowned amp maker knocking out kit build pedals as boutiques?

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

aballen

I'm curious about that too.  I've heard of people doing this, but this seems so blatant.  To charge that much for it seems a crime... but if there is a market...

Quote from: hammerheadmusicman on March 22, 2013, 11:52:24 PM
yeah musikding! So is it a fake, or was a renowned amp maker knocking out kit build pedals as boutiques?

George

jubal81

Just got a jolt. How many things do I pay waaaay too much for because I'm not in the know  ???
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

alanp

There are worse ways to be ripped off. Look up Dan's Data review of the EMPower Modulator. (tl;dr? $295AUD extension cord.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

juansolo

I don't think this is particularly uncommon in the Bootweak world. Certainly when it comes to ODs.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

small fish

George

Unfortunately not a fake. It has been sold by a official seller of Tube Th. products, inside the original Box, signed / dated by Nils himself. He´s still got 2 of them left - now, I know why  ;D
I think it´s the real deal, because the parts / values had been changed. The 1590bb was worked out accurate - so I think, that was the expensive part of the pedal. The soldering of the pots and the in and outs is also very sturdy and not cheap (look at the ground-bus).

here´s a pic of pedal and case...so, this is the real deal, imho.

Quote from: juansolo on March 23, 2013, 03:35:16 PM
I don't think this is particularly uncommon in the Bootweak world. Certainly when it comes to ODs.

Well this might be, but I´d really expected that the parts had been changed, to some quality stuff. This is just, what you can buy at musikding.de, nuthin changed.
I´m not trying to complain about the manufacturer, because he hand-built some holy-sh** amps, but some more enthusiasm (right word??) would have been nice.

regards

hammerheadmusicman

It's fair enough to build a TS derivative. Everyone has done it. But to build a kit from musikding and sell it for that much is absurd!

midwayfair

Out him on Freestompboxes, and thegearpage if you feel like going that far.

Building from kits is one step too far; in my mind it borders on fraud.

jimilee

Quote from: midwayfair on March 23, 2013, 05:49:17 PM

Guy died though, so he won't be doing it anymore.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

hammerheadmusicman

it is a step too far, but i think you should put it on the other forums, people deserve to know what's happen, it's almost a scam!

Hangingmonkey

Quote from: small fish on March 23, 2013, 04:32:03 PM

George

Unfortunately not a fake. It has been sold by a official seller of Tube Th. products, inside the original Box, signed / dated by Nils himself. He´s still got 2 of them left - now, I know why  ;D
I think it´s the real deal, because the parts / values had been changed. The 1590bb was worked out accurate - so I think, that was the expensive part of the pedal. The soldering of the pots and the in and outs is also very sturdy and not cheap (look at the ground-bus).

Well this might be, but I´d really expected that the parts had been changed, to some quality stuff. This is just, what you can buy at musikding.de, nuthin changed.
I´m not trying to complain about the manufacturer, because he hand-built some holy-sh** amps, but some more enthusiasm (right word??) would have been nice.

regards

Off topic I know, but I didnt want to start a separate thread to ask, but the ground bus you mention, is that the metal wire grounding the backs of the pots.  If so, does it make much difference?  Is it the same principle of using shielded cabling but applied to pots?

small fish

Quote from: jimilee on March 23, 2013, 06:20:36 PM
Quote from: midwayfair on March 23, 2013, 05:49:17 PM

Guy died though, so he won't be doing it anymore.

That´s my thought about it, after all....

I attached the schematic with the changed parts. Maybe someone´s interested in that.

small fish

Quote from: Hangingmonkey on March 23, 2013, 06:33:47 PM
Quote from: small fish on March 23, 2013, 04:32:03 PM

George

regards

Off topic I know, but I didnt want to start a separate thread to ask, but the ground bus you mention, is that the metal wire grounding the backs of the pots.  If so, does it make much difference?  Is it the same principle of using shielded cabling but applied to pots?

That´s just the way you´ll wire pots inside a tube amp. So it´s kind of a proof to me, that this has been built by someone, who wanted to do a prof job. The in / out jacks are plastic, the 1590bb was laquered inside, so that will be the best way to keep the things grounded.
But no, I would use shielded cable - where it belongs. The ground bus is used, where you want to connect several points to one star ground (ok, instead of a star ground). As said, usually done in tube amps.