News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Vero sucks

Started by icecycle66, March 22, 2013, 01:42:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammerheadmusicman

You are right to be scared, if i ever get caught my head will be on the block!!!

I used to do the boiling water bath thing, but the results aren't as good.. microwave is fine, just don't do it for too long.
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

selfdestroyer

Quote from: hammerheadmusicman on March 22, 2013, 11:45:32 PM
You are right to be scared, if i ever get caught my head will be on the block!!!

I used to do the boiling water bath thing, but the results aren't as good.. microwave is fine, just don't do it for too long.

I'll wait for the wife to take a nap and give it a go. Lol

juansolo

I have no issues with vero. When I moved on from kits I was making most things from it. However I think PCB's have made me soft now ;) and 90% of what I build is on PCB. I still use it occasionally for one off things.

Perf however, pure evil. I really don't get on with perf...

...or SMD...
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Parra

I tried to build something in vero last year when i was starting to build pedals and it went really bad, and it was a small circuit. But since then i learned the most important thing in this hobbie, think twice before doing something, and "try" to have patience... is half way to build something that works first try.

Now i decided to try vero again, i'm doing a box of rock and before i started populating i've checked all the strips and gaps on the board whith the multimeter, cause if it's good now then later will make the job easier to debug if needed!

Meanwhile, some months ago i've also did a ROG tri-vibe in perf and that was the hardest one i built, i was lucky cause it worked second try, a resistor was shorting...(i might post it in the build reports, just cause i love this pedal)

pedalman

every day i study last nights work. take it slow, and enjoy it double checking as you go. by slowing down I find my rate of sucess has shot way up
I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.

ch1naski

Quote from: selfdestroyer on March 22, 2013, 11:41:38 PM
Quote from: hammerheadmusicman on March 22, 2013, 11:35:14 PMi found recently, if you give the ferric chloride a blast in the microwave for a few seconds to warm it up (when the mrs is looking the other way!) things etch in half the time!

George

I was always afraid to do that..not sure why.. so what I do is I have a larger shallow container with water and microwave that then put my smaller shallow container of FC in that just to warm it up.. but you are 100% right.. it does speed up the process when it is above room temp.
I do the hot water thing also.
Vero is so "instant gratification" for small/medium circuits. And it really gives you that DIY look. ::)

Perf definitely is the devil.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
one louder.

jalmonsalmon

Vero for me is great for the simple pedals like fuzz's, overdrives, boosters.
I would hate to attempt a flanger or delay on vero like I have seen before. That is instant fail.
Biggest thing I did on vero that works great is a 4 knob compressor clone from a well known boutique builder and a certain Ecstasy (Euphoria) overdrive pedal.
;)
I still prefer a good PCB or etched board over vero because I hate wiring vero when there are more than 3 pots and toggles...
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST . .

fuzzymuff

I dunno, but like working with both vero and perf.  Both are great mediums to learn electronics.

LaceSensor

Vero is great to learn on. Folks are spoilt with fab pcbs  ;D

I've made loads of vero inc delay, chorus, phaser and loads dirt boxes
Verified layout and your golden, plus it's hella cheap

By no means does it suck. You suck.  ;) :-*

Mr. L

Thus far I have only had good results with vero.  I have built 3 fuzz circuits, and a delay.  They all fired up first try.  Well see but at the moment I like vero.

Mike
Mike

ch1naski

i reckon if you can have success with a delay on vero, you can do just about anything.
one louder.

Effectsiation

I'm dragging this up, because I realized I feel the exact same way about etched boards. I have exactly ZERO working boards from etches. Not my own etches either, they are all from people who know what they're doing. I, however, cannot get a single one to work. Fabbed boards and vero are it for me, that ground plane is always way too close unmasked...

Stomptown

Quote from: Effectsiation on April 19, 2013, 01:54:57 PM
I'm dragging this up, because I realized I feel the exact same way about etched boards. I have exactly ZERO working boards from etches. Not my own etches either, they are all from people who know what they're doing. I, however, cannot get a single one to work. Fabbed boards and vero are it for me, that ground plane is always way too close unmasked...

I had a lot of problems with etched boards at first but feel comfortable with them now. I'm not a fan of them either though...

jimilee

Etched boards are like playing acoustic then going to electronic. You get so much better at it.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: jimilee on April 19, 2013, 06:05:39 PM
Etched boards are like playing acoustic then going to electronic. You get so much better at it.

I can agree with this. I started on vero then went to etching my own board and got pretty successful at it and I remember the first time I populated a fabbed PCB.. I was able to speed right through it and the pads were less finicky as my etched boards. all in all I still etch my own boards first If I can find/make a transfer. Iw ill be trying my hand with Eagle & OshPark here really soon.