News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Vero sucks

Started by icecycle66, March 22, 2013, 01:42:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

icecycle66

Screw vero, that's one more for the fail box.

Is there a novice vero, with...like, 1/4 inch wide strips and gaps?

I suck at this.

midwayfair

Quote from: icecycle66 on March 22, 2013, 01:42:53 AM
Screw vero, that's one more for the fail box.

Is there a novice vero, with...like, 1/4 inch wide strips and gaps?

I suck at this.

I hate vero, too. :(

Love perfboard, though. Hard to forget a cut when you're soldering parts to other parts.

aballen

I'm not a fan either, some people are great with it though.  Check out frequency centrals stuff,  just amazing.

selfdestroyer

I started about a year ago when I found Mark's site http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/ and It forced me to do vero layouts simply because I did not know anything about etching. I appreciate vero layouts for teaching me how to build a pedal and I felt I accomplished my goal when I made a Mayo muff clone. I decided it was time to try etching and I never touched vero again.

There just seem to be more points of failure.. at least for me. Don't get me wrong, I have a few successful vero builds that I am proud of but my failure box is full of vero layouts.

stevie1556

I don't know why, but I quite enjoy working on stripboard (or vero board). Admittedly, it's harder to build circuits on the PCBs in terms of wire links, track cuts, making sure parts go into the right holes, etc, but I find its easy to solder onto and very satisfying when the circuit (eventually) works. And the fact is quicker then exposing a PCB in the light box, heating the etching tank up (which takes ages), etching the PCB and then cutting it from the board.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

Micpoc

I basically agree; I've had little luck with even verified stripboard projects (my last fuzz attempt is still waiting on a few parts), but I do have a couple of buffer experiments I want to build and, oddly enough, since they have so few parts, the vero layouts are pretty much the same size as perf layouts, so that will be my final go at vero. Fingers - and hopefully no traces  :D - crossed.

Stomptown

Quote from: stevie1556 on March 22, 2013, 02:34:47 AM
...the fact is quicker then exposing a PCB in the light box, heating the etching tank up (which takes ages), etching the PCB and then cutting it from the board.

That's why I'm using eagle now! I've only done two vero layouts and it was definitely a challenge. I've yet to put together anything complex on vero so I don't hate it yet. ;) Etching is a better option IMO, but nothing compares to making your own layout and having it fabricated. Obviously it takes some time and there is a bit of a learning curve but making a compact layout is much like solving a puzzle, which I love...

jimilee

Quote from: stevie1556 on March 22, 2013, 02:34:47 AM
I don't know why, but I quite enjoy working on stripboard (or vero board). Admittedly, it's harder to build circuits on the PCBs in terms of wire links, track cuts, making sure parts go into the right holes, etc, but I find its easy to solder onto and very satisfying when the circuit (eventually) works. And the fact is quicker then exposing a PCB in the light box, heating the etching tank up (which takes ages), etching the PCB and then cutting it from the board.

This. Working with vero is like working with an etched board to me, the tracks are just wider and easier to solder. When you flip it over to the non solder side, it's just a board with a bunch of holes in it. So far, I like all the options below in the diy PCB's except perf., it confuses the brain.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

pryde

I guess I have pretty good luck with vero, I have built dozens of circuits with it and all turned out fine...so far.

I do want to get into etching as I like pcbs better but have not taken the initiative to get that rolling. I beleive one also needs a laser printer which I don't have  :(

Stomptown

Quote from: pryde on March 22, 2013, 03:26:14 AM
I guess I have pretty good luck with vero, I have built dozens of circuits with it and all turned out fine...so far.

I do want to get into etching as I like pcbs better but have not taken the initiative to get that rolling. I beleive one also needs a laser printer which I don't have  :(

I just head down to the copy shop down the street and make laser copies for about 10 cents a piece and better quality than if I bought a cheap toner based home printer...

jimilee

Quote from: Stomptown on March 22, 2013, 03:37:31 AM

I just head down to the coy shop down the street and make laser copies for about 10 cents a piece and better quality than if I bought a cheap toner based home printer...
Genius! Now if I could find somebody to etch for about .10 a board.....
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

stevie1556

Quote from: Stomptown on March 22, 2013, 02:59:17 AM

That's why I'm using eagle now! I've only done two vero layouts and it was definitely a challenge. I've yet to put together anything complex on vero so I don't hate it yet. ;) Etching is a better option IMO, but nothing compares to making your own layout and having it fabricated. Obviously it takes some time and there is a bit of a learning curve but making a compact layout is much like solving a puzzle, which I love...

I'm the other way. When I actually get around to designing a board, I would then prefer to finish making it myself. Don't get me wrong, I've received a fabbed board from Josh, and it was a lovely board, extremely easy to solder, and it was a great experience. However, being in the UK, OSH Park boards will take about 2 months to arrive because of postage, and the Chinese manufacturers I've found have a big tooling charge which makes it financially unviable to have 1 or 2 boards made.

Quote from: jimilee on March 22, 2013, 03:23:44 AM

This. Working with vero is like working with an etched board to me, the tracks are just wider and easier to solder. When you flip it over to the non solder side, it's just a board with a bunch of holes in it. So far, I like all the options below in the diy PCB's except perf., it confuses the brain.

That's also another reason why I like stripboard, is that it's extremely easy to solder. The copper heats up quicker then a etched PCB I find.

You can also get special film to produce high quality artworks from an inkjet. I tried it but my printer wouldn't print on the transparency film. You could also try normal transparency film. As someone else has said, an office shop (Staples over here) use laser photocopies for about 10-15p a sheet if I remember right.

You can get good laser printers cheap. I was looking at getting a cheap Samsung black and white one last year, but managed to get a Samsung 4 colour one, end of line, £110 discount because of it, then as it was the last one and ex display, another 15% off plus a couple packs of paper. Ended up being cheaper then the black and white one I was looking at. Just keep an eye out and you can get a good deal. Personally, I prefer my laser to my inkjet, probably because it still feels like a new toy, but the cost of toner puts me off using it too much.

JohnL

I have had better luck with complicated vero then some complicated PCBs  I have done. Now perf is something I am scared to try :-\.

ch1naski

I like Vero. I keep a big board around, and so always have instant access to build a circuit. And with places like IVIark's , and sabrotone, there's always a cool circuit to build.
My first builds (couple of Rangemasters, Fulltone 69, Octavia, etc.) were on vero.

While I like perf board, it just looks so ugly in the end. And my ultimate goal is to end up with nice, neat boards.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
one louder.

Tremster

I find vero easy to work with, and way easier to unsolder than PCBs in case something goes wrong.
The thing is though that I've had good success with really small circiuts on vero (SHO, COT, ROG Peppermill, Naga Viper ...), but have a growing pile of not-working bigger circuits (a number of drives) that I can't seem to get to work.
My pile of PCBs has gone now, so I will have to learn to debug properly. Been measuring voltages the other evening etc., will have to make an audio probe next. Will report back, probably with lots of questions.