News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sola Sound Tone Bender MK1 Suppose to Sound Like This?

Started by fuzzymuff, March 20, 2013, 12:59:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzymuff

I breadboarded the Tone Bender MK1 and used the Tonebender MK1 transistor set that small bear offers.  I've never played or heard the actual 1965 Tonebender MK1 so I'm playing this by ear based on what I have read online and specially from this forum.  I made a video of my results.  Did my tone bender MK1 breadboard come close to the actual 1965 tone bender MK1 using the small bear tone bender MK1 transistor set?  Is the Tone Bender MK1 suppose to sound like this?

Here are some specs:
Here are the voltage readings I have on the breadboard:  Source: 9.38v

Transistor set from Small Bear.  http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=1311

Q1: 75 hfe, L83, Q2: 106 hfe, L113, Q3: 140 hfe, L157.

Fuzz at max:

Q1:
C= 0.00v
B= -8.51v
E= -8.97v

Q2:
C= -3.89
B= -9.19
E= -9.36

Q3:
C= -0.15
B= -9.34
E= -9.25

Fuzz set to min:

Q1:
C= 0.00v
B= -8.53v
E= -8.94v

Q2:
C= -0.03mv
B= -9.32v
E= -9.35v

Q3:
C= -0.10mv
B= -9.33v
E= -9.35v

I was using a 2010 Gibson Les Paul Junior with P90 pickups and a stock 2007 Fender Blues Jr for this video.

fuzzymuff

I made this enclosure.  I saw this enclosure at my local Frys electronics store and thought it looked close enough for a TB MK1 enclosure.  I painted it and drilled it out.  I can't wait to finally tweak this TB MK1 project and put it in this enclosure.

Here is the actual TB MK1 enclosure compared to the one I got from Frys.

fuzzymuff

Did some tweaking today and finally finished.  I think she sounds much better now. 

Here is my latest sample. 

Here is the vero I made and is verified, used this to build this.

Cortexturizer

awesome sound from that build! the enclosure looks rad and overall a good job sir  ;)
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

Bret608

This certainly sounds like a MK I to me! I may use this vero layout you did. Sounds great. How hard was it to bias and all?

The first progression you played sounds like Mick Ronson doing Velvet Underground!

fuzzymuff

Quote from: Cortexturizer on March 21, 2013, 12:04:56 PM
awesome sound from that build! the enclosure looks rad and overall a good job sir  ;)

Thanks!  I got the enclosure from Frys Electronics for only $12USD.

fuzzymuff

Quote from: Bret608 on March 21, 2013, 02:00:51 PM
This certainly sounds like a MK I to me! I may use this vero layout you did. Sounds great. How hard was it to bias and all?

The first progression you played sounds like Mick Ronson doing Velvet Underground!
Thanks!

Well, the vero is certainly verified.  Building it is the easy part, the hard part about this build is finding the transistors that will bias with this circuit.  You can do the shortcut and use trimmers, but I think it changes the tone and fuzz charateristics.  I went trying to bias by swapping out transistors left and right.  Took me a week to find the tone.

Watcha think?

Stomptown

fuzzymuff

Thanks!!  I just ordered two bags of AC125s, I hope those will be enough to make more of these great fuzz pedals.

finom1

Quote from: fuzzymuff on March 27, 2013, 05:08:39 AM
Quote from: Bret608 on March 21, 2013, 02:00:51 PM

Thanks!

Well, the vero is certainly verified.  Building it is the easy part, the hard part about this build is finding the transistors that will bias with this circuit.  You can do the shortcut and use trimmers, but I think it changes the tone and fuzz charateristics.  I went trying to bias by swapping out transistors left and right.  Took me a week to find the tone.

Watcha think?

Who do you think sell the best transistors?

fuzzymuff

that is hard to say, as I purchase them base on price value per bulk.  I usually buy a whole bunch from eBay and I've been pretty lucky so far.

Effectsiation

Who do you think sell the best transistors?
[/quote]

I think the "best" as far as a matched pair goes has always been Steve @ SmallBear.  It all depends what you're looking for though, and the "mojo" factor regarding original part #s.