News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pork Barrel

Started by jvg13, March 17, 2013, 10:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jvg13

gordo

Great demo and welcome!  Very nice tone, sounds better than my real CE-2 and nice job on the build.  I'm a big fan of the "clean-but-not-by-much" sound...what's the amp?
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

pickdropper

That's a really pretty build.  Great hammertone on that one.  I like the plate as well.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jvg13

jimilee

Wow, shields on the jacks for clock noise, I don't think anyone has even mentioned that here on the board in the 6 mos I've been here. Nice.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Zerstorte Zelle

+1 on the stamped plate!

Rip57

Sounds like you're having way too much fun with this build. Seriously, it looks and sounds great. Shielding on the jacks to sink clock noise... brilliant.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but in the very least you need a beer." ― Frank Zappa

juansolo

Like it lots, get it entered in the March comp if you haven't already!
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

midwayfair

I think a lot of people should read your blog post just for the paragraphs about recycled chips.

It's weird how easy it is to forget that in the pursuit of mojo.

Great looking build, by the way.

fish22

I really dig that finish and the name plate.
Sweet!
Hi, my name is Wyatt.

LaceSensor

First up, pleasantries: welcome, nice build, interested in the shield things so please write that up or provide more details and pictures. Like the stamped plate too.

Secondly, read your blog and it was interesting to see this opinion. MN3007s are quite easy to get hold of in the UK if you know where to look, and including the clock would have likely actually been cheaper to source than the alternatives you got...and I can say with regards that chip, running it at 15v provides much nicer results than 9v. This is one major reason to "keep the faith" in the mojo old chips of the past. I am also not that concerned about tinned legs and the indication that those devices are "pulls" from obsolete equipment; the same is to be said of viable MN3005 chips for nice delays.

However, in closing, if you are happy with the sound then more power to you but dont rule out trying some "mojo" components if you can be bothered as they do afford some serious advantages. Case in point would definitely be the current lover I wouldnt run one at 9v at all...

Have fun and looking forward to seeing more builds.

midwayfair

Quote from: LaceSensor on March 18, 2013, 04:33:55 PMI am also not that concerned about tinned legs and the indication that those devices are "pulls" from obsolete equipment; the same is to be said of viable MN3005 chips for nice delays.

I believe he was referring to the social cost of the component recycling industry. The cause for concern isn't that they're pulled from old devices and may be bad, or that he may have been deceived by the guy selling them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_waste

LaceSensor

Quote from: midwayfair on March 18, 2013, 05:57:36 PM
Quote from: LaceSensor on March 18, 2013, 04:33:55 PMI am also not that concerned about tinned legs and the indication that those devices are "pulls" from obsolete equipment; the same is to be said of viable MN3005 chips for nice delays.

I believe he was referring to the social cost of the component recycling industry. The cause for concern isn't that they're pulled from old devices and may be bad, or that he may have been deceived by the guy selling them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_waste

fair point then. tough job but someone does it I guess /flippant mood

jvg13

LaceSensor

Interesting discussion. I will google that name.
Not meant to be anything heated, I just wanted you to know that in my experience these modulation projects relying on MN3x07 chips work really nice at 9v, but next level at 15v and I strongly recommend getting the 3007/3101 chipset and giving it a whirl. Run them with a charge pump such as Madbeans Roadrage with an LT1054 and 15v regulator, for the win.

I will pm you the place in the UK to get the chips. Its not a secret, but then again they wont last forever and we madbeaners can keep some stuff under the general radar.

regards
LS