News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Switching for stereo dual overdrive

Started by stevewire, March 15, 2013, 11:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevewire

Hello.
If anybody could send me in the right direction.  I have a friend that has a couple of guitars wired up stereo (neck/bridge pickups) and he uses two combo amps.   He asked me if I could build him a stereo dual overdrive pedal. 

I'm trying to wrap my head around some type of true bypass wiring for this.  Subtracting the use of an LED, could a 4PDT work for this?  And if so, could someone explain it to me?  I am sure you could do this with sometype of relay circuit, but I am so how looking for a simple yet elegant solution.  I've done lots of google searches, but yet I may not have been wording the search criteria very well.

The jist of what I am hearing from my friend and what he would like are two seperate overdrive circuits in the same enclosure, triggered simultaniously with a single stomp switch with stereo in and out.

Any help or advice is appreciated.
-Stevewire

alanp

You could do it with a 4PDT and also get LED's, if you used the Millenium Bypass thing. I'm not entirely up on that, Juansolo used it a lot.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

eldanko

IIRC, the Molten Voltage clickless units will allow you to operate more than one relay off of one soft switch.
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

DutchMF

Check the pdf I've attached, I think this is what you mean. No Led though, would need a 5PDT for that.... I'd imagine this kind of thing would have a lot of possibilities for some very cool sounds! Thinking about delays and modulation in stereo right now!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

stecykmi

one option that makes a 3pdt viable is modding a circuit like The Opto-Tron to switch two circuits.

jkokura

You can use optical drivers and a 3PDT switch to get stereo bypass and an LED.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

stevewire

Thank you guys.  Definitely some options here on how to make this work.

Thank you Dutch.  Whether I use a 4PDT here or not, I'm bound to use that information at some point.

The optical driver stuff looks interesting.  I looked over the schematic for the Opto-Tron.  I don't think I am grasping how it works or how I could mod the idea to make it work for this project.  Any advice or direction on what I could read or use as a reference to get a better understanding?

jkokura

I'll PM you. I can give you more info more easily there.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals