News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

DIY Dual Delay(not double delay)

Started by aballen, March 14, 2013, 02:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aballen

Anyone know of any dual delays out there other than the Multiplex?

I've build a few delays and I have to say the dual delay really does it for me.  Double delay, just makes for longer repeats, but the dual delay lets me set different delay times, which I think sounds awesome.

It  really looks like most of the DIY pedals out there, in fact most of the delay pedals, are double delays... not duals.

hammerheadmusicman

I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

aballen

Nope, I built one, its a great pedal, but a single delay.

midwayfair

Quote from: aballen on March 14, 2013, 02:01:50 PM
Anyone know of any dual delays out there other than the Multiplex?

I've build a few delays and I have to say the dual delay really does it for me.  Double delay, just makes for longer repeats, but the dual delay lets me set different delay times, which I think sounds awesome.

It  really looks like most of the DIY pedals out there, in fact most of the delay pedals, are double delays... not duals.

There are some on DIYSB, but they are mostly schematics. One guy did a sort of uber pedal that switched between series and parallel delay lines.

As far as actual projects -- none that I know of, though you could easily stick two boards in one box and get something like the Visual Sound dual delay. Or make a little daughter board for a second PT2399.

Funkasaurus

I actually just completed a build like midwayfair suggested.  I used two GuitarPCB D'Lay circuits in one box with one of JMK's Buffer-Splitter circuits at the front and a slightly modified version of the mixing section of the runoffgroove.com Splitter-Blend at the end.  By using a 4PDT switch the thing can be run in series or parallel.  By having the two separate circuits and this wiring configuration you can really get a wealth of different sounds.  I am pretty embarrassed by the rat's nest of wiring I have going on inside the thing, but I guess I'll share pictures anyway.

aballen

So you ping pong the signal between the two? 

how do you set the feedback time?

sounds simple I just don't understand.

Funkasaurus

The signal chain works as follows.

Series

Input--Buffer Splitter--D'Lay 1--D'Lay2--Output

Parallel
                                   --D'Lay 1--
                                 /                \
Input--Buffer Splitter--<                   >--Mixer--Output
                                 \                /
                                   --D'Lay 2--

When the circuits are running in series its just like having two delay pedals one after the other.  The clean signal goes through the first delay, then the signal from that delay gets processed through the second.  When the circuits are in parallel each delay gets a clean signal and their outputs then get mixed down into one signal.  Each circuit has their own set of Time, Repeat, and Level controls.  Hope that sheds some light on it, if not, keep asking questions and I'll try to help as best as I can.

culturejam

BYOC's Ping Pong delay is pretty much what you are talking about.

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/pingpong.html

It has a ping-poing mode which is two separate delay times, and also an "echo" mode which is both chips in series (one repeat at double the time).
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jimilee

I was intrigued by you d'lay but after the third sentence my head started hurting and I had to lay down.it looks cool as hell,how does it sound?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

aballen

Quote from: culturejam on March 14, 2013, 06:26:06 PM
BYOC's Ping Pong delay is pretty much what you are talking about.

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/pingpong.html

It has a ping-poing mode which is two separate delay times, and also an "echo" mode which is both chips in series (one repeat at double the time).

This may be close to what I'm looking for.  Really I want a second delay that can do 1/2, 1/4 , and 1/8th, like the nova delay, though I think I found my fave in the Multiplex. Maybe Its just time to move on to chorus and phasers.

Funkasaurus

Quote from: jimilee on March 15, 2013, 02:54:37 AM
I was intrigued by you d'lay but after the third sentence my head started hurting and I had to lay down.it looks cool as hell,how does it sound?

It sounds really cool.  The thing has an uncolored, well defined clarity to the sound even with all the crazy wiring and signal routing.  I made this for my guitarist, I primarily play bass so I have never really messed around with delays.  I plugged it in to test everything out and before I knew it I had spent 45 minutes just playing around with all the different sounds I could get from it.  I had the most fun running both delays in parallel and using the feedback switch to make some completely insane noises.

culturejam

Quote from: aballen on March 15, 2013, 12:40:08 PM
This may be close to what I'm looking for.  Really I want a second delay that can do 1/2, 1/4 , and 1/8th, like the nova delay, though I think I found my fave in the Multiplex. Maybe Its just time to move on to chorus and phasers.

Pretty sure you're not going to get subdivision (dotted-8th, etc) without going a bit more digital. You could add a Taptation onto any give delay project to get the note subdivision.

aballen

culturejam

jkokura

After reading about dual gang digital pots, I'm beginning to research if I can get a Taptation dual going. It would mean you'd have to source the extra/replacement digital pot, but it might be a good solution for controlling two different delays/a dual delay.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals