News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Non-MB -- Shortstack/Hotcake

Started by pk1802, March 11, 2013, 12:04:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pk1802

I finally sat down and got this little guy boxed up. I like it a lot, although there is a bit of fizzyness on the note decay(in normal and bluesberry mode with every opamp I've tried).

Shoving everything in there. I had to grind the edge of the lid because I mounted my power jack to close...

It's a tight fit with that switch in there...

My girlfriend painted this one for me. My idea was just for her to paint a stack of pancakes, but her (literal) hotcake was a much better idea. Here it is getting a test drive next to my honeybee clone...

jtn191

nice build! I'll look into how to smooth the decay...I'm building one into a 1590a soon. Gave my other one to a friend

jimilee

That is a tight squeeze,and why I don't like 1590a's takes a lt of patience.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

lincolnic

pk1802

Quote from: jtn191 on March 11, 2013, 02:53:41 AM
nice build! I'll look into how to smooth the decay...I'm building one into a 1590a soon. Gave my other one to a friend

I'm not super worried about it, this is by far my favorite low-cutting pedal, fizz or no fizz.

Quote from: jimilee on March 11, 2013, 03:29:28 AM
That is a tight squeeze,and why I don't like 1590a's takes a lt of patience.

Indeed, 1590a's are a pain, but for whatever reason, if it fits in a 1590a I refuse to put it in a bigger box. My pedalboard is pretty crowded, so it is worth it to me.

Here's a pic of my (newly rearranged) pedalboard. You can see how 1590a's will be my savior. I'm considering doing a 1590a TS, Honeybee, BSIAB2 and LPB1 to cut down on space.

Quote from: lincolnic on March 11, 2013, 04:23:48 AM
I love that paint job.

Thank you, I'll be sure to pass that along to my girlfriend. I want her to paint more pedals for me, but I had a hard time with clearcoating. I'm always afraid that I'll mess up all of her hard work.

jtn191

Quote from: pk1802 on March 11, 2013, 06:06:10 PM
Quote from: jtn191 on March 11, 2013, 02:53:41 AM

I'm not super worried about it, this is by far my favorite low-cutting pedal, fizz or no fizz.

I just looked back at the schems and if you double C7 to 22n and bump up the output cap to 56n it brings the pedal closer to 2003 Hotcake specs...I'll try it out but doubt it'll fix fizziness--likely just changes the bass cut on the way out.

Nice board!

pk1802

Quote from: jtn191 on March 11, 2013, 07:38:03 PM
I just looked back at the schems and if you double C7 to 22n and bump up the output cap to 56n it brings the pedal closer to 2003 Hotcake specs...I'll try it out but doubt it'll fix fizziness--likely just changes the bass cut on the way out.

Nice board!

If I ever open this little guy up again, I may put that change on the switch. The difference between normal and bluesberry is pretty negligible, I could do without that.

BTW, thanks for all the help. Your board was very nice to work on and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a hotcake board.

jubal81

I was thinking about the hotcake the other day. Sometime I'd like to breadboard one with a dual opamp, with one buffering the reference voltage. Also, I'm wondering how it would sound with a discrete opamp. JFETs sound good when they clip, unlike opamps ....
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

pk1802

Quote from: jubal81 on March 12, 2013, 09:41:47 PM
I was thinking about the hotcake the other day. Sometime I'd like to breadboard one with a dual opamp, with one buffering the reference voltage. Also, I'm wondering how it would sound with a discrete opamp. JFETs sound good when they clip, unlike opamps ....

I'm still learning, what would be the benefit to buffering the reference voltage?

The only thing I really know about discrete opamps is that audiophile dudes spend a fortune for people to design them discrete opamps(or at least that's what my buddy does). Are you thinking you would design your own or just follow the schematic for what is on the die of a standard opamp?