News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Powering Multiple Pedals Same Enclosure

Started by Zerstorte Zelle, March 09, 2013, 04:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zerstorte Zelle

Hey All,

I know there have been some recent multi-effect all in ones built and was just wondering how the powering is working out. I am thinking of building a 4 in one drive effect and just looking for any suggestions on the power. Do you think one 9v happily power a zombie / karate shop / slow loris / darkside? I'd love to keep the external power stuff to a minimum.

Best,
ZZ

jkokura

Yes, if you power things in parallel.

But the key isn't whether you can wire them all to the same jack, the key is how much amperage they draw. In this case, it'd be the same as daisy chaining pedals, so as long as your power supply can handle the mA draw, you're good to go.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Zerstorte Zelle

so you'd suggest a higher ma 9v adapter? higher than 200ma? 500ma? i am also concerned with clean power and wonder if there is a better solution (simple) / other?

best,

ZZ

pickdropper

Jacob's response is spot on.  I'll just add that most OD/Distortion circuits don't draw a while lot of power, so 500mA should be more than enough for that.  Even 200mA should be fine, but I generally try and err on the side of too much if I don't know exactly what the circuit draws.

The One Spot power supplies can supply 1A, so that might be a good idea as it will give you flexibility to use it on something else later if you want.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Zerstorte Zelle

Thanks guys I'll have too look into it a bit more.

best,
ZZ

hammerheadmusicman

Surely if you have something like the OneSpot, that supposedly power up to 99 pedals, a 4 in 1 should be fine? Unlees you have the worlds biggest board!
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

jimilee

I was thinking about soldering all those wires on one little tiny dc jack. I was thinking about using some vero to assist with this. Any thoughts?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

eldanko

Yep! I use little bits of stripboard myself. Works great.
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

pedalman

I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.

hammerheadmusicman

I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

Zerstorte Zelle

Quote from: eldanko on March 10, 2013, 02:27:25 PM
Yep! I use little bits of stripboard myself. Works great.

if i were splitting the 9v out 5 ways i could run each lug of the dc jack to the bits of vero and then split them there? thats a great idea

zz

juansolo

A note on mutli pedal enclosures. I've had issues with both the two I've made lately.

The Black Lagoon I transplanted the V3205 for an MN3005 and at first thought I could power both from the CE-2 charge pump... Nope, the power draw is too great, so I stuck a 2nd pump in there... Well that caused some interesting issues! Cleggy seems to think they're heterodyning. Took the one off the Aquaboy and ran that at 9v and the problem goes away. But an interesting issue!

In the other one the Apis and Fatpants pump were doing something similar though this time in the Fatpants sounding like it was buzzing. Bypassing the Fatpants pump (disconnecting the 9v line and running itto  the 18v feed skips it) makes it go away. Very odd.

I know it's not related, but I thought I'd put them up here anyhow for reference if anyone else has similar issues.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

pedalman

lol, to mutch stress and a hemorrhoid appears
I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.

RobA

Quote from: juansolo on March 14, 2013, 09:11:05 PM
A note on mutli pedal enclosures. I've had issues with both the two I've made lately.

The Black Lagoon I transplanted the V3205 for an MN3005 and at first thought I could power both from the CE-2 charge pump... Nope, the power draw is too great, so I stuck a 2nd pump in there... Well that caused some interesting issues! Cleggy seems to think they're heterodyning. Took the one off the Aquaboy and ran that at 9v and the problem goes away. But an interesting issue!

In the other one the Apis and Fatpants pump were doing something similar though this time in the Fatpants sounding like it was buzzing. Bypassing the Fatpants pump (disconnecting the 9v line and running itto  the 18v feed skips it) makes it go away. Very odd.

I know it's not related, but I thought I'd put them up here anyhow for reference if anyone else has similar issues.

Which charge pumps were you using? Since the LT1054 can deliver 100mA, it seems it should be able to handle the current draw from the two pedals combined.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

juansolo

Quote from: RobA on March 15, 2013, 07:30:24 PM
Quote from: juansolo on March 14, 2013, 09:11:05 PM

Which charge pumps were you using? Since the LT1054 can deliver 100mA, it seems it should be able to handle the current draw from the two pedals combined.

Yep, you'd think it would (as did we), but it didn't. Big voltage pull down on it too when both are connected.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk